May 27, 2013, 9:15 PM EST
On a night like this, an interesting tweet can go a long way. And we got just that from a RT from former colleague Daniel Martin at CSN.
Quite simply, @corryjoel asks, what’s up with former Mater Dei players transferring so much?
Martin added on.
Plus Tyler Lamb + Max Hooper RT @corryjoel: What’s up with all the Mater Dei hoops transfers (T. King, G. Franklin, Wear Twins, Reinhardt)?
— Daniel Martin (@DMartinCSN) May 27, 2013
So by the numbers, since King in 2007, that makes seven high-level players who played at the famed California prep sports powerhouse to leave the school they initially enrolled in. Including one, Taylor King, who went from Duke to Villanova to NAIA Concordia, though his off-the-court problems are well documented and he’s seemed to thankfully overcome them.
But the trend is something of an interesting point. Though the reasons as varied. Tyler Lamb left UCLA for Long Beach State, one of many players that became disenchanted with now-former coach Ben Howland. Max Hooper bolted from Harvard in search of better competition at St John’s. The Wear twins, David and Travis, wanted to be closer to home after a year at North Carolina. Gary Franklin is at Baylor after parting ways with California in 2011 and now we get Katin Reinhardt bouncing from UNLV in search of a place he can play more point guard.
Maybe the most eyebrow-raising fact, only Tyler Lamb lasted more than one season at his original school.
To be clear, this doesn’t seem to be a “Mater Dei” thing. It seems like the only thing these players have in common is their high school. All had reasons, justified or not, but none have to do with where they prepped. But the irony is interesting.
And in the fickle world of recruiting, this may put a few coaches on notice in the future. If a player has legit talent, and plays at a D-1 factory like Mater Dei, it definitely won’t stop high-major programs from recruiting them, but it may make them cautious that after year one, the post-season individual player meeting might last a few minutes longer.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)