May 27, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Like every other red-blooded American, Oklahoma State head coach Travis Ford used part of his long, Memorial Day weekend to fire up a grill and cook up some hot dogs and burgers.
But Ford wasn’t at a backyard cookout.
He was posted up in the Home Depot parking lot in Moore, OK, for two days, spending all day cooking up hot meals for anyone that needed it.
Tornado victims. Relief workers. Firefighters and EMTs. Friends and family. Everyone.
Ford said he made a monetary donation to the relief cause but Wednesday got the itch to do more. One of his old pals back in Kentucky had gone on relief missions to Hurricane Katrina and Joplin, so Ford placed a call. The friend told Ford just load up and go cook, if he didn’t know what else to do.
So Ford asked OSU police Lt. Leon Jones to find them a place where they could set up. Meanwhile, Ford borrowed the trailer cooker from his church, Sunnybrook Christian, and bought out all the burgers and hot dogs from a Perkins meat packing company. Wal-Mart donated ketchup and mustard.
And by 10 a.m. Thursday, Ford, Jones and staff members Tommy Wade and Joey Biggs were cooking away and passing out OSU T-shirts.
I’ll spare you any moralizing here because, really, what else needs to be said?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)