May 27, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Like every other red-blooded American, Oklahoma State head coach Travis Ford used part of his long, Memorial Day weekend to fire up a grill and cook up some hot dogs and burgers.
But Ford wasn’t at a backyard cookout.
He was posted up in the Home Depot parking lot in Moore, OK, for two days, spending all day cooking up hot meals for anyone that needed it.
Tornado victims. Relief workers. Firefighters and EMTs. Friends and family. Everyone.
Ford said he made a monetary donation to the relief cause but Wednesday got the itch to do more. One of his old pals back in Kentucky had gone on relief missions to Hurricane Katrina and Joplin, so Ford placed a call. The friend told Ford just load up and go cook, if he didn’t know what else to do.
So Ford asked OSU police Lt. Leon Jones to find them a place where they could set up. Meanwhile, Ford borrowed the trailer cooker from his church, Sunnybrook Christian, and bought out all the burgers and hot dogs from a Perkins meat packing company. Wal-Mart donated ketchup and mustard.
And by 10 a.m. Thursday, Ford, Jones and staff members Tommy Wade and Joey Biggs were cooking away and passing out OSU T-shirts.
I’ll spare you any moralizing here because, really, what else needs to be said?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)