May 27, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Like every other red-blooded American, Oklahoma State head coach Travis Ford used part of his long, Memorial Day weekend to fire up a grill and cook up some hot dogs and burgers.
But Ford wasn’t at a backyard cookout.
He was posted up in the Home Depot parking lot in Moore, OK, for two days, spending all day cooking up hot meals for anyone that needed it.
Tornado victims. Relief workers. Firefighters and EMTs. Friends and family. Everyone.
Ford said he made a monetary donation to the relief cause but Wednesday got the itch to do more. One of his old pals back in Kentucky had gone on relief missions to Hurricane Katrina and Joplin, so Ford placed a call. The friend told Ford just load up and go cook, if he didn’t know what else to do.
So Ford asked OSU police Lt. Leon Jones to find them a place where they could set up. Meanwhile, Ford borrowed the trailer cooker from his church, Sunnybrook Christian, and bought out all the burgers and hot dogs from a Perkins meat packing company. Wal-Mart donated ketchup and mustard.
And by 10 a.m. Thursday, Ford, Jones and staff members Tommy Wade and Joey Biggs were cooking away and passing out OSU T-shirts.
I’ll spare you any moralizing here because, really, what else needs to be said?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 0
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (10)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (8)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)