May 28, 2013, 10:01 AM EDT
Talk to anyone that has spent time around Andrew Wiggins over the course of his high school career, and they’ll all tell you the same thing about him: that he’s a different kind of superstar. He’s humble, he’s polite and he’s just a kid that’s more concerned about enjoying life as a kid than he is absorbing all the attention and adoration that he gets showered with.
This weekend offered yet another example.
Wiggins, who recently graduated from St. Joseph Central Catholic HS, where he studies as a student at Huntington Prep, wrote a letter to the people in the Huntington, WV, community to thank them. It was published in the Huntington Herald-Dispatch on Monday.
“To the people and community of Huntington,” the letter began. “I just wanted to thank Huntington for your support for me and my Huntington Prep teammates and coaches these past two years. Without the community, none of what has been accomplished would have been attainable. I hope that when you hear or read my name, you are proud to say I played my high school days here in Huntington. Because I am proud to say I played here.”
“I like to represent my hometown of Thornhill, Ontario, and my country of Canada in a positive light and I will do the same for Huntington and for my team and coaches of Huntington Prep. It has been such a positive experience and I would advise any player to come to Huntington Prep.”
He would go on to thank just about everyone that he came in contact with during his stay in Huntington. His host family. His coaching staff. His girlfriend’s family. The janitor at the school.
How often do you see high school stars do that?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)