May 28, 2013, 10:01 AM EST
Talk to anyone that has spent time around Andrew Wiggins over the course of his high school career, and they’ll all tell you the same thing about him: that he’s a different kind of superstar. He’s humble, he’s polite and he’s just a kid that’s more concerned about enjoying life as a kid than he is absorbing all the attention and adoration that he gets showered with.
This weekend offered yet another example.
Wiggins, who recently graduated from St. Joseph Central Catholic HS, where he studies as a student at Huntington Prep, wrote a letter to the people in the Huntington, WV, community to thank them. It was published in the Huntington Herald-Dispatch on Monday.
“To the people and community of Huntington,” the letter began. “I just wanted to thank Huntington for your support for me and my Huntington Prep teammates and coaches these past two years. Without the community, none of what has been accomplished would have been attainable. I hope that when you hear or read my name, you are proud to say I played my high school days here in Huntington. Because I am proud to say I played here.”
“I like to represent my hometown of Thornhill, Ontario, and my country of Canada in a positive light and I will do the same for Huntington and for my team and coaches of Huntington Prep. It has been such a positive experience and I would advise any player to come to Huntington Prep.”
He would go on to thank just about everyone that he came in contact with during his stay in Huntington. His host family. His coaching staff. His girlfriend’s family. The janitor at the school.
How often do you see high school stars do that?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)