May 28, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
Rutgers got some good news on Tuesday evening, which is a nice change of pace given recent events.
Former Miami (FL) guard Bishop Daniels has decided to transfer to Rutgers, according to a tweet from CBS Sports Network College Basketball Insider Jon Rothstein:
Former Miami guard Bishop Daniels has committed to Rutgers, per a source. Currently attends ASA College. Eligible for 2014-15. 2 yrs left.
— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) May 28, 2013
In mid-December Daniels elected to take a leave of absence from the Hurricane basketball program to focus on academics. According to Rothstein, he was attending ASA College in New York, after his short stint at Coral Gables.
“He had a lot of work to do and you want your priorities to be academics and he needed a lot of time with papers and exams due in a short period of time,” Miami head coach Jim Larranaga said at the time.
In the weeks following the the Mike Rice scandal, Eli Carter (Florida), Mike Poole (Iona) and Jerome Seagears (Auburn), all found new homes. First-year head coach Eddie Jordan has added former UTEP guard D’Von Campbell and more recently Iowa State transfer Nkereuwem “Kerwin” Okoro. Rutgers also retained a commitment from JuCo forward Craig Brown (Broward Community College/North Miami Beach, Fla.) while also landing a commitment from 2013 power forward Junior Etou (Bishop O’Connell High School/Arlington, Va.)
The 6-foot-3 redshirt freshman played in only three games this season for the eventual ACC champion, averaging 5.0 points, 1.0 rebound and 1.0 assists per game in almost 17 minutes a night. He originally committed to Miami in 2010 under then head coach Frank Haith. He chose the Hurricanes over offers from Charlotte, Colorado, DePaul, N.C. State and Purdue.
He will have two years of eligibility remaining, beginning with the 2014-2015 season.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)