May 28, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
Rutgers got some good news on Tuesday evening, which is a nice change of pace given recent events.
Former Miami (FL) guard Bishop Daniels has decided to transfer to Rutgers, according to a tweet from CBS Sports Network College Basketball Insider Jon Rothstein:
Former Miami guard Bishop Daniels has committed to Rutgers, per a source. Currently attends ASA College. Eligible for 2014-15. 2 yrs left.
— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) May 28, 2013
In mid-December Daniels elected to take a leave of absence from the Hurricane basketball program to focus on academics. According to Rothstein, he was attending ASA College in New York, after his short stint at Coral Gables.
“He had a lot of work to do and you want your priorities to be academics and he needed a lot of time with papers and exams due in a short period of time,” Miami head coach Jim Larranaga said at the time.
In the weeks following the the Mike Rice scandal, Eli Carter (Florida), Mike Poole (Iona) and Jerome Seagears (Auburn), all found new homes. First-year head coach Eddie Jordan has added former UTEP guard D’Von Campbell and more recently Iowa State transfer Nkereuwem “Kerwin” Okoro. Rutgers also retained a commitment from JuCo forward Craig Brown (Broward Community College/North Miami Beach, Fla.) while also landing a commitment from 2013 power forward Junior Etou (Bishop O’Connell High School/Arlington, Va.)
The 6-foot-3 redshirt freshman played in only three games this season for the eventual ACC champion, averaging 5.0 points, 1.0 rebound and 1.0 assists per game in almost 17 minutes a night. He originally committed to Miami in 2010 under then head coach Frank Haith. He chose the Hurricanes over offers from Charlotte, Colorado, DePaul, N.C. State and Purdue.
He will have two years of eligibility remaining, beginning with the 2014-2015 season.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)