May 28, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT
Hofstra’s new men’s basketball coach Joe Mihalich announced his coaching staff, and it will look an awful lot like the coaching staff that he had when he was at Niagara.
Mike Farrelly, Kyle Neptune and Shane Nichols, who were all assistants for Mihalich at Niagara, will remain on his staff at Hofstra. Mihalich’s Director of Basketball Operations at Niagara, Colin Curtin, will be headed to Hempstead to take over that same role for the Pride.
In fact, the only difference is that Mihalich will have a Hofstra legend on his staff. Speedy Claxton scored 2,000 points for the Pride before heading to the NBA, where he won a title with the Spurs in 2003. He spent the past two seasons as a college scout for the Golden State Warriors.
“I am thrilled about the staff we will have here at Hofstra,” Mihalich said in a statement. “Having worked with most of them at Niagara, there is a certain comfort level and I know how skilled each of them is. I look forward to the Hofstra community getting to know them and seeing what kind of rising stars in the coaching profession we have on staff. To be able to have Speedy join the staff is an absolute home run. His extensive playing experience at both the collegiate and professional level, combined with his ability to connect us with one of the greatest eras in Hofstra Basketball history, will prove to be a winning formula as we grow the program moving forward.”
Mihalich not only brought his coaching staff with him, he also had two players from Niagara transfer with him in Juan’Ya Green and Ameen Tanksley.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 1
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- ACC releases its full conference schedule (2)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)