May 28, 2013, 12:02 PM EST
Hofstra’s new men’s basketball coach Joe Mihalich announced his coaching staff, and it will look an awful lot like the coaching staff that he had when he was at Niagara.
Mike Farrelly, Kyle Neptune and Shane Nichols, who were all assistants for Mihalich at Niagara, will remain on his staff at Hofstra. Mihalich’s Director of Basketball Operations at Niagara, Colin Curtin, will be headed to Hempstead to take over that same role for the Pride.
In fact, the only difference is that Mihalich will have a Hofstra legend on his staff. Speedy Claxton scored 2,000 points for the Pride before heading to the NBA, where he won a title with the Spurs in 2003. He spent the past two seasons as a college scout for the Golden State Warriors.
“I am thrilled about the staff we will have here at Hofstra,” Mihalich said in a statement. “Having worked with most of them at Niagara, there is a certain comfort level and I know how skilled each of them is. I look forward to the Hofstra community getting to know them and seeing what kind of rising stars in the coaching profession we have on staff. To be able to have Speedy join the staff is an absolute home run. His extensive playing experience at both the collegiate and professional level, combined with his ability to connect us with one of the greatest eras in Hofstra Basketball history, will prove to be a winning formula as we grow the program moving forward.”
Mihalich not only brought his coaching staff with him, he also had two players from Niagara transfer with him in Juan’Ya Green and Ameen Tanksley.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)