May 29, 2013, 11:58 AM EST
Dunk City could end up hosting a Thanksgiving college hoops tournament, according to News-Press.com.
Germain Arena, which is located in Estero, FL, a suburb of Fort Myers, is looking to host an eight-team men’s tournament and an eight-team women’s tournament in November of this season. Right now, it looks like any event held in 2013 will be make up of mostly mid-major men’s teams, mostly because most of the high-major programs have already figured out their schedules.
The success of Florida-Gulf Coast in the NCAA tournament isn’t the only reason that organizers are trying to bring the event to the Fort Myers area.
The success of the City of Palms Classic, a high school event in December that features some of the nation’s best teams, has played a major role in their push.
FGCU will not participate in 2013 in either the men’s or women’s tournament, as the men are headed to Las Vegas and the women are going to be heading down to Mexico.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)