May 29, 2013, 11:58 AM EST
Dunk City could end up hosting a Thanksgiving college hoops tournament, according to News-Press.com.
Germain Arena, which is located in Estero, FL, a suburb of Fort Myers, is looking to host an eight-team men’s tournament and an eight-team women’s tournament in November of this season. Right now, it looks like any event held in 2013 will be make up of mostly mid-major men’s teams, mostly because most of the high-major programs have already figured out their schedules.
The success of Florida-Gulf Coast in the NCAA tournament isn’t the only reason that organizers are trying to bring the event to the Fort Myers area.
The success of the City of Palms Classic, a high school event in December that features some of the nation’s best teams, has played a major role in their push.
FGCU will not participate in 2013 in either the men’s or women’s tournament, as the men are headed to Las Vegas and the women are going to be heading down to Mexico.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)