May 29, 2013, 11:58 AM EDT
Dunk City could end up hosting a Thanksgiving college hoops tournament, according to News-Press.com.
Germain Arena, which is located in Estero, FL, a suburb of Fort Myers, is looking to host an eight-team men’s tournament and an eight-team women’s tournament in November of this season. Right now, it looks like any event held in 2013 will be make up of mostly mid-major men’s teams, mostly because most of the high-major programs have already figured out their schedules.
The success of Florida-Gulf Coast in the NCAA tournament isn’t the only reason that organizers are trying to bring the event to the Fort Myers area.
The success of the City of Palms Classic, a high school event in December that features some of the nation’s best teams, has played a major role in their push.
FGCU will not participate in 2013 in either the men’s or women’s tournament, as the men are headed to Las Vegas and the women are going to be heading down to Mexico.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 5
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 9
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- Duke’s Jabari Parker will discuss options with Mike Krzyzewski next week 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (8)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)