May 29, 2013, 11:58 AM EST
Dunk City could end up hosting a Thanksgiving college hoops tournament, according to News-Press.com.
Germain Arena, which is located in Estero, FL, a suburb of Fort Myers, is looking to host an eight-team men’s tournament and an eight-team women’s tournament in November of this season. Right now, it looks like any event held in 2013 will be make up of mostly mid-major men’s teams, mostly because most of the high-major programs have already figured out their schedules.
The success of Florida-Gulf Coast in the NCAA tournament isn’t the only reason that organizers are trying to bring the event to the Fort Myers area.
The success of the City of Palms Classic, a high school event in December that features some of the nation’s best teams, has played a major role in their push.
FGCU will not participate in 2013 in either the men’s or women’s tournament, as the men are headed to Las Vegas and the women are going to be heading down to Mexico.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Film Session: Louisville-Kentucky will be a Tale of Two (Different) Defenses 1
- WCC Midseason Catchup: No. 8 Gonzaga leads the way 0
- The top 15 most improved players in college basketball 3
- Late Night Snacks: George Washington wins the Diamond Head Classic 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Arizona Wildcats 2
- The ten biggest disappointments of the 2014-2015 college basketball season 4
- New Year’s Resolutions: Gonzaga Bulldogs 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville (5)
- The ten biggest disappointments of the 2014-2015 college basketball season (4)
- No. 24 North Carolina handles No. 12 Ohio State (3)
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game (3)