May 29, 2013, 11:58 AM EDT
Dunk City could end up hosting a Thanksgiving college hoops tournament, according to News-Press.com.
Germain Arena, which is located in Estero, FL, a suburb of Fort Myers, is looking to host an eight-team men’s tournament and an eight-team women’s tournament in November of this season. Right now, it looks like any event held in 2013 will be make up of mostly mid-major men’s teams, mostly because most of the high-major programs have already figured out their schedules.
The success of Florida-Gulf Coast in the NCAA tournament isn’t the only reason that organizers are trying to bring the event to the Fort Myers area.
The success of the City of Palms Classic, a high school event in December that features some of the nation’s best teams, has played a major role in their push.
FGCU will not participate in 2013 in either the men’s or women’s tournament, as the men are headed to Las Vegas and the women are going to be heading down to Mexico.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Seven takeaways from the LeBron James Skills Academy 0
- Five-star small forward Ray Smith commits to Arizona 0
- The Showdown Saturday Recap: Horace Spencer’s big summer continues 0
- adidas Unrivaled Camp Day 3 Recap: Jaylen Brown/Brandon Ingram II was special, Kobi Simmons, Deng Adel have strong days 0
- Senior guard Delon Wright, Utah aim to end NCAA tournament drought 0
- Arizona-commit Justin Simon may not be a PG, but that may not matter 1
- USA Basketball experience motivates five-star big man Chase Jeter 0
- Rashad McCants says he’s getting $310 million from UNC, NCAA (16)
- Report: Memphis football player attacked Dominic Woodson, advisor (5)
- Rick Brunson used Patrick Ewing’s name to deceive masseuse which led to his arrest (3)
- Report: Naadir Tharpe to turn pro (3)
- Class of 2016 No. 1 prospect Josh Jackson transferring from Detroit to California for next season (3)