May 29, 2013, 11:58 AM EDT
Dunk City could end up hosting a Thanksgiving college hoops tournament, according to News-Press.com.
Germain Arena, which is located in Estero, FL, a suburb of Fort Myers, is looking to host an eight-team men’s tournament and an eight-team women’s tournament in November of this season. Right now, it looks like any event held in 2013 will be make up of mostly mid-major men’s teams, mostly because most of the high-major programs have already figured out their schedules.
The success of Florida-Gulf Coast in the NCAA tournament isn’t the only reason that organizers are trying to bring the event to the Fort Myers area.
The success of the City of Palms Classic, a high school event in December that features some of the nation’s best teams, has played a major role in their push.
FGCU will not participate in 2013 in either the men’s or women’s tournament, as the men are headed to Las Vegas and the women are going to be heading down to Mexico.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)