May 29, 2013, 8:21 PM EST
As if the 2013 recruiting class for the Memphis Tigers wasn’t deep already, head coach Josh Pastner landed a sixth commit on Wednesday as Huntington Prep (W. Va.) center Dominic Woodson committed to the school according to multiple outlets (subscription required).
Standing at 6-10, 315, Woodson gives Memphis some additional bulk in the paint following Tarik Black’s decision to transfer to Kansas for his final year of college eligibility.
Memphis won’t lack for options in the front court next season, with Woodson, power forward Austin Nichols and small forwards Kuran Iverson, Nick King and George Washington transfer David Pellom joining returnees Shaq Goodwin, Hippolyte Tsafack and Damien Wilson.
That depth (and talent) is one reason why the Tigers are considered by many to be the best bet to challenge defending national champion Louisville in the debut season of the American Athletic Conference.
So why was Woodson, a top 100 recruit in the eyes of just about every scouting service, available in late May?
Baylor’s luck with the NBA Draft early entry process played a major role, as both Isaiah Austin and Cory Jefferson elected to return to Waco for the 2013-14 season.
With those two returning (as are Taurean Prince and Rico Gathers) and commitments from power forward Johnathan Motley and small forward Ishmail Wainright, Baylor has a number of options inside.
This ultimately led to Woodson’s decision to de-commit and reopen his recruitment. And as a result, Memphis will be even deeper in the paint when the 2013-14 season begins.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)