May 29, 2013, 8:21 PM EDT
As if the 2013 recruiting class for the Memphis Tigers wasn’t deep already, head coach Josh Pastner landed a sixth commit on Wednesday as Huntington Prep (W. Va.) center Dominic Woodson committed to the school according to multiple outlets (subscription required).
Standing at 6-10, 315, Woodson gives Memphis some additional bulk in the paint following Tarik Black’s decision to transfer to Kansas for his final year of college eligibility.
Memphis won’t lack for options in the front court next season, with Woodson, power forward Austin Nichols and small forwards Kuran Iverson, Nick King and George Washington transfer David Pellom joining returnees Shaq Goodwin, Hippolyte Tsafack and Damien Wilson.
That depth (and talent) is one reason why the Tigers are considered by many to be the best bet to challenge defending national champion Louisville in the debut season of the American Athletic Conference.
So why was Woodson, a top 100 recruit in the eyes of just about every scouting service, available in late May?
Baylor’s luck with the NBA Draft early entry process played a major role, as both Isaiah Austin and Cory Jefferson elected to return to Waco for the 2013-14 season.
With those two returning (as are Taurean Prince and Rico Gathers) and commitments from power forward Johnathan Motley and small forward Ishmail Wainright, Baylor has a number of options inside.
This ultimately led to Woodson’s decision to de-commit and reopen his recruitment. And as a result, Memphis will be even deeper in the paint when the 2013-14 season begins.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 1
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 3
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)