May 29, 2013, 8:21 PM EDT
As if the 2013 recruiting class for the Memphis Tigers wasn’t deep already, head coach Josh Pastner landed a sixth commit on Wednesday as Huntington Prep (W. Va.) center Dominic Woodson committed to the school according to multiple outlets (subscription required).
Standing at 6-10, 315, Woodson gives Memphis some additional bulk in the paint following Tarik Black’s decision to transfer to Kansas for his final year of college eligibility.
Memphis won’t lack for options in the front court next season, with Woodson, power forward Austin Nichols and small forwards Kuran Iverson, Nick King and George Washington transfer David Pellom joining returnees Shaq Goodwin, Hippolyte Tsafack and Damien Wilson.
That depth (and talent) is one reason why the Tigers are considered by many to be the best bet to challenge defending national champion Louisville in the debut season of the American Athletic Conference.
So why was Woodson, a top 100 recruit in the eyes of just about every scouting service, available in late May?
Baylor’s luck with the NBA Draft early entry process played a major role, as both Isaiah Austin and Cory Jefferson elected to return to Waco for the 2013-14 season.
With those two returning (as are Taurean Prince and Rico Gathers) and commitments from power forward Johnathan Motley and small forward Ishmail Wainright, Baylor has a number of options inside.
This ultimately led to Woodson’s decision to de-commit and reopen his recruitment. And as a result, Memphis will be even deeper in the paint when the 2013-14 season begins.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Throwback Thursday: Which Jim Calhoun rant was the best Jim Calhoun rant? (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)