May 29, 2013, 11:21 AM EST
Bill Self has completed his staff at Kansas, as he has replaced Joe Dooley, who left to take over the Florida-Gulf Coast job, with Jerrance Howard, according to a report from Jason King of ESPN.
Howard spent last season as an assistant on Larry Brown’s bench at SMU, but was on staff at Illinois for years prior to that. He played for four years at Illinois, backing up the likes of Frank Williams, Dee Brown and Deron Williams, from 2000-2004, the first three seasons under Bill Self. He was also a member of Billy Gillispie’s staff at Texas A&M and Kentucky.
This hire didn’t come as much of a surprise, as many believed it was only a matter of time before Self scooped up Howard.
Howard has developed a reputation for himself as one of the best recruiters in the country, particularly in the city of Chicago. That’s important these days as Chicago is one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country. Two of the top five players in the Class of 2014 — big men Jahlil Okafor and Cliff Alexander — both hail from the city and play AAU ball together for the Mac Irvin Fire.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 0
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Players 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Player of the Year Power Rankings 2
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Congratulations to Dickie V on 35 years of broadcasting (VIDEO) (2)
- VCU’s half court scoring issues becoming a concern? (2)