May 29, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
Bill Self has completed his staff at Kansas, as he has replaced Joe Dooley, who left to take over the Florida-Gulf Coast job, with Jerrance Howard, according to a report from Jason King of ESPN.
Howard spent last season as an assistant on Larry Brown’s bench at SMU, but was on staff at Illinois for years prior to that. He played for four years at Illinois, backing up the likes of Frank Williams, Dee Brown and Deron Williams, from 2000-2004, the first three seasons under Bill Self. He was also a member of Billy Gillispie’s staff at Texas A&M and Kentucky.
This hire didn’t come as much of a surprise, as many believed it was only a matter of time before Self scooped up Howard.
Howard has developed a reputation for himself as one of the best recruiters in the country, particularly in the city of Chicago. That’s important these days as Chicago is one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country. Two of the top five players in the Class of 2014 — big men Jahlil Okafor and Cliff Alexander — both hail from the city and play AAU ball together for the Mac Irvin Fire.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Bubble Banter: Monster day for teams on the cutline 1
- Pac-12 Tournament: Are we overlooking Arizona right now? 0
- Big 12 Tournament: Iowa State lights up a poor Kansas defense 2
- SEC Tournament: ‘The Tweak’ worked as Kentucky runs over LSU 0
- ACC Tournament: Pitt locks up tourney bid by beating struggling No. 16 North Carolina 2
- Atlantic 10 Tournament: St. Bonaventure upsets Saint Louis with a three at the buzzer (VIDEO) 6
- Bracketology: Final No. 1 seed up for grabs 5
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- Don’t mess with Aaron Craft’s memory (6)
- Atlantic 10 Tournament: St. Bonaventure upsets Saint Louis with a three at the buzzer (VIDEO) (6)