May 29, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
Bill Self has completed his staff at Kansas, as he has replaced Joe Dooley, who left to take over the Florida-Gulf Coast job, with Jerrance Howard, according to a report from Jason King of ESPN.
Howard spent last season as an assistant on Larry Brown’s bench at SMU, but was on staff at Illinois for years prior to that. He played for four years at Illinois, backing up the likes of Frank Williams, Dee Brown and Deron Williams, from 2000-2004, the first three seasons under Bill Self. He was also a member of Billy Gillispie’s staff at Texas A&M and Kentucky.
This hire didn’t come as much of a surprise, as many believed it was only a matter of time before Self scooped up Howard.
Howard has developed a reputation for himself as one of the best recruiters in the country, particularly in the city of Chicago. That’s important these days as Chicago is one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country. Two of the top five players in the Class of 2014 — big men Jahlil Okafor and Cliff Alexander — both hail from the city and play AAU ball together for the Mac Irvin Fire.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)