May 29, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
Bill Self has completed his staff at Kansas, as he has replaced Joe Dooley, who left to take over the Florida-Gulf Coast job, with Jerrance Howard, according to a report from Jason King of ESPN.
Howard spent last season as an assistant on Larry Brown’s bench at SMU, but was on staff at Illinois for years prior to that. He played for four years at Illinois, backing up the likes of Frank Williams, Dee Brown and Deron Williams, from 2000-2004, the first three seasons under Bill Self. He was also a member of Billy Gillispie’s staff at Texas A&M and Kentucky.
This hire didn’t come as much of a surprise, as many believed it was only a matter of time before Self scooped up Howard.
Howard has developed a reputation for himself as one of the best recruiters in the country, particularly in the city of Chicago. That’s important these days as Chicago is one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country. Two of the top five players in the Class of 2014 — big men Jahlil Okafor and Cliff Alexander — both hail from the city and play AAU ball together for the Mac Irvin Fire.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)