May 29, 2013, 12:36 PM EDT
The folks over at the Emory Sports Marketing Analytics put together an interesting study on Wednesday.
In an effort to determine what college basketball program in the country has the strongest fanbase — they call it “Fan Equity”, which sounds really smart — they may have accidentally thrown some gas on the fire of the rivalry between Louisville and Kentucky. Here are the basics:
We use a statistical model that predicts team revenues as a function of the team’s performance, as measured by winning rates and post season success. The key insight is that when a team achieves revenues that greatly exceed what would be expected based on team performance, it is an indication of significant brand equity.
Louisville has the most ‘fan equity’ in the nation. Kentucky? They’re seventh.
Here’s the entire top ten:
5. North Carolina
10. Oklahoma State
What’s important to note here is that this isn’t a study that is supposed to determine whose fans are the most passionate. It’s sole purpose is to figure out which fan base is still spending money when their team is bad. That’s why Arkansas is so high on this list. They sell out Bud Walton Arena even when they’re going 2-14 in the SEC. Texas has an athletic department that prints money whether or not they win basketball games.
So settle down, Kentucky fans.
We all know you’re actually No. 1.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Throwback Thursday: Which Jim Calhoun rant was the best Jim Calhoun rant? (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)