May 29, 2013, 12:36 PM EST
The folks over at the Emory Sports Marketing Analytics put together an interesting study on Wednesday.
In an effort to determine what college basketball program in the country has the strongest fanbase — they call it “Fan Equity”, which sounds really smart — they may have accidentally thrown some gas on the fire of the rivalry between Louisville and Kentucky. Here are the basics:
We use a statistical model that predicts team revenues as a function of the team’s performance, as measured by winning rates and post season success. The key insight is that when a team achieves revenues that greatly exceed what would be expected based on team performance, it is an indication of significant brand equity.
Louisville has the most ‘fan equity’ in the nation. Kentucky? They’re seventh.
Here’s the entire top ten:
5. North Carolina
10. Oklahoma State
What’s important to note here is that this isn’t a study that is supposed to determine whose fans are the most passionate. It’s sole purpose is to figure out which fan base is still spending money when their team is bad. That’s why Arkansas is so high on this list. They sell out Bud Walton Arena even when they’re going 2-14 in the SEC. Texas has an athletic department that prints money whether or not they win basketball games.
So settle down, Kentucky fans.
We all know you’re actually No. 1.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (11)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (9)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)