May 29, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT
In the aftermath of UNC Asheville promoting associate head coach Nick McDevitt to replace Eddie Biedenbach as head coach, a major question was the status of guard Keith Hornsby.
As a sophomore Hornsby, the son of singer Bruce Hornsby, averaged 15.0 points, 4.2 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game for the Bulldogs and with Jeremy Atkinson out of eligibility he would be even more important in 2013-14.
But Hornsby wasn’t sure that UNC Asheville was where he wanted to finish his college career with Biedenbach stepping down to join Buzz Peterson’s staff at UNC Wilmington. With that in mind McDevitt did something you rarely see: he afforded Hornsby the opportunity to do some looking around at other schools while leaving the door open for a return next season.
But according to a story by Norm Wood of the Daily Press (Hampton, Va.), McDevitt had a change of heart as more schools began to show interest and news leaked regarding Hornsby’s visit to N.C. State.
As a result Hornsby will officially transfer, and with that he becomes one of the better perimeter options on the transfer market.
Hornsby said Tuesday he plans to transfer from UNC Asheville. He said St. Mary’s (Calif.), Miami (Ohio) and Louisiana State have expressed interest in him. He said he’s verbally been granted a release from his scholarship at UNC Asheville, but as of Tuesday afternoon, hadn’t received a written release.
After averaging four points per game as a freshman Hornsby proved to be one of the Big South’s most improved players, and he was also a Big South All-Academic Team selection.
With Hornsby no longer in the Bulldogs’ plans for next season more will be asked of Trent Meyer (9.7 ppg, 3.9 apg) and Marcus Neely (13.2 mpg in 2012-13), with front court players Will Weeks and D.J. Cunningham also returning.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 4
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)
- Indiana grabs commitment from prep school center (VIDEO) (6)
- Harrison twins awaiting feedback from NBA before deciding to return or declare (6)
- Michigan lands 2014 commitment from guard Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman (4)