May 30, 2013, 10:04 PM EDT
On May 8 former Marshall guard DeAndre Kane was reported to have committed to play his final season at Pittsburgh. A native of the Steel City, Kane (15.1 ppg, 7.0 apg) would have given the Panthers a much-needed perimeter scorer.
Eleven days later there was a change in thinking, with reports surfacing that Memphis had become involved in the Kane sweepstakes.
But in the end it was a school that has enjoyed success with transfers that landed Kane. According to a report from Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com (and confirmed by multiple outlets), Kane will attend Iowa State next season.
Kane is a welcome addition for the Cyclones, who have to replace more than a few key contributors from a team that very nearly reached the Sweet 16 of the 2013 NCAA tournament.
Head coach Fred Hoiberg has to account for the loss of guards Chris Babb, Korie Lucious and Tyrus McGee, and the departure of wing Will Clyburn isn’t a small nuisance either. Adding Kane to a rotation that features forwards Melvin Ejim and Georges Niang bolsters the Cyclones’ chances of earning a third consecutive NCAA tournament berth.
Kane is the second transfer to commit to Iowa State this offseason, with former Northern Illinois forward Abdel Nader (13.1 ppg, 5.6 rpg) being the first. Nader will have to sit out the 2013-14 season per NCAA transfer rules but will help the Cyclones out in practice.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)