May 30, 2013, 10:04 PM EDT
On May 8 former Marshall guard DeAndre Kane was reported to have committed to play his final season at Pittsburgh. A native of the Steel City, Kane (15.1 ppg, 7.0 apg) would have given the Panthers a much-needed perimeter scorer.
Eleven days later there was a change in thinking, with reports surfacing that Memphis had become involved in the Kane sweepstakes.
But in the end it was a school that has enjoyed success with transfers that landed Kane. According to a report from Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com (and confirmed by multiple outlets), Kane will attend Iowa State next season.
Kane is a welcome addition for the Cyclones, who have to replace more than a few key contributors from a team that very nearly reached the Sweet 16 of the 2013 NCAA tournament.
Head coach Fred Hoiberg has to account for the loss of guards Chris Babb, Korie Lucious and Tyrus McGee, and the departure of wing Will Clyburn isn’t a small nuisance either. Adding Kane to a rotation that features forwards Melvin Ejim and Georges Niang bolsters the Cyclones’ chances of earning a third consecutive NCAA tournament berth.
Kane is the second transfer to commit to Iowa State this offseason, with former Northern Illinois forward Abdel Nader (13.1 ppg, 5.6 rpg) being the first. Nader will have to sit out the 2013-14 season per NCAA transfer rules but will help the Cyclones out in practice.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)