May 30, 2013, 10:04 PM EDT
On May 8 former Marshall guard DeAndre Kane was reported to have committed to play his final season at Pittsburgh. A native of the Steel City, Kane (15.1 ppg, 7.0 apg) would have given the Panthers a much-needed perimeter scorer.
Eleven days later there was a change in thinking, with reports surfacing that Memphis had become involved in the Kane sweepstakes.
But in the end it was a school that has enjoyed success with transfers that landed Kane. According to a report from Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com (and confirmed by multiple outlets), Kane will attend Iowa State next season.
Kane is a welcome addition for the Cyclones, who have to replace more than a few key contributors from a team that very nearly reached the Sweet 16 of the 2013 NCAA tournament.
Head coach Fred Hoiberg has to account for the loss of guards Chris Babb, Korie Lucious and Tyrus McGee, and the departure of wing Will Clyburn isn’t a small nuisance either. Adding Kane to a rotation that features forwards Melvin Ejim and Georges Niang bolsters the Cyclones’ chances of earning a third consecutive NCAA tournament berth.
Kane is the second transfer to commit to Iowa State this offseason, with former Northern Illinois forward Abdel Nader (13.1 ppg, 5.6 rpg) being the first. Nader will have to sit out the 2013-14 season per NCAA transfer rules but will help the Cyclones out in practice.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Gregg Marshall to remain at Wichita State, won’t visit Alabama 1
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)