May 30, 2013, 10:04 PM EST
On May 8 former Marshall guard DeAndre Kane was reported to have committed to play his final season at Pittsburgh. A native of the Steel City, Kane (15.1 ppg, 7.0 apg) would have given the Panthers a much-needed perimeter scorer.
Eleven days later there was a change in thinking, with reports surfacing that Memphis had become involved in the Kane sweepstakes.
But in the end it was a school that has enjoyed success with transfers that landed Kane. According to a report from Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com (and confirmed by multiple outlets), Kane will attend Iowa State next season.
Kane is a welcome addition for the Cyclones, who have to replace more than a few key contributors from a team that very nearly reached the Sweet 16 of the 2013 NCAA tournament.
Head coach Fred Hoiberg has to account for the loss of guards Chris Babb, Korie Lucious and Tyrus McGee, and the departure of wing Will Clyburn isn’t a small nuisance either. Adding Kane to a rotation that features forwards Melvin Ejim and Georges Niang bolsters the Cyclones’ chances of earning a third consecutive NCAA tournament berth.
Kane is the second transfer to commit to Iowa State this offseason, with former Northern Illinois forward Abdel Nader (13.1 ppg, 5.6 rpg) being the first. Nader will have to sit out the 2013-14 season per NCAA transfer rules but will help the Cyclones out in practice.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 1
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)