May 30, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT
In a move that surprised exactly no one, former UNLV guard Katin Reinhardt has decided to transfer to USC. Reinhardt originally committed to the Trojans when he was in high school. The news was first reported by Hoopsworld earlier this week.
Reinhardt is a talented player, ranking among the top 50 recruits coming out of high school. He left UNLV last week in large part because he wanted to play the point, and UNLV wouldn’t guarantee him ball-handling responsibilities.
“Katin would have had an opportunity to compete for minutes at the point, but I’ve never guaranteed anyone that they will start or play a certain number of minutes,” UNLV head coach Dave Rice told the Las Vegas Review-Journal when Reinhardt’s transfer was announced.
The people in Reinhardt’s camp believe that his best chance to make it to the NBA is at the point guard spot, and that could very well be true. He’s 6-foot-5, but he’s not the kind of overwhelming athlete that you typically find at off-guard in the NBA. He can handle the ball and he has playmaking ability, the question is whether or not he is willing to be a point guard or simply a shoot-first scorer that has the ball in his hands.
If Reinhardt, who will become eligible in 2014-2015, is going to find success in Andy Enfield’s system as a point guard, he better be willing to pass the ball. As everyone saw with Florida-Gulf Coast’s run to the Sweet 16 last season, the engine that made Dunk City run was point guard Brett Comer and his ability to find his teammates in transition.
If Reinhardt accepts that role — if he models his game after someone like Jason Kidd — than he could end up being a great weapon for Enfield. But if he wants to be the next Jimmer, this may not end up being a match made in heaven.
Regardless, it appears that Reinhardt will be getting the opportunity that he wants — to be the point guard of a high-major program.
Good for him.
Now let’s see if he can prove that he deserves.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)