May 30, 2013, 1:44 PM EDT
The Southern Conference announced on Thursday afternoon that have extended invitations to East Tennessee State, Mercer and VMI to join the conference on July 1st, 2014.
ETSU and Mercer have both accepted the invitations, and VMI is expected to formally accept it on Friday.
“The addition of these three institutions will solidify the Southern Conference and ensure our position as a vibrant league with a bright future,” SoCon commissioner John Iamarino said in a statement. “We are delighted to invite three quality institutions, two of which are returning to a home they previously enjoyed for many years.
“Our membership is excited about rekindling old rivalries and establishing new ones. Most importantly, we’ve been able to grow while not extending our geographic footprint to an extreme extent.”
ETSU and Mercer will be leaving the Atlantic Sun, which will be another brutal blow to a league that is still reeling from the departure of Belmont a year ago. VMI is currently a member of the Big South conference.
The SoCon is looking to replace the College of Charleston and Davidson. Charleston will be joining the CAA this fall, while Davidson is headed to the Atlantic 10 effective July 1st, 2014, the day that the three new programs will join the league.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)