May 30, 2013, 7:58 PM EDT
In the aftermath of then-Stephen F. Austin head coach Danny Kaspar’s decision to take the open position at Texas State, Copperas Cove (Texas) product Cory Scott’s request to be released from his National Letter of Intent was granted.
An excellent two-sport athlete, Scott saw his recruitment as a track and field athlete gain steam after winning the Class 5A state title in the high jump (he cleared seven feet to win the event).
One of the doors that opened: the possibility of joining both the basketball and track programs at Texas Tech.
On Wednesday it was reported by Clay Whittington of the Killeen Daily Herald that Scott will join the Texas Tech program, focusing on basketball with the possibility of returning to the high jump remaining on the table.
“Everything was just crazy from me going to the high jump to getting my release from SFA and everything,” Scott told Whittington. “It happened so fast, but it also seemed like it didn’t, but I’m thankful it did happen.”
The 6-2 guard averaged 24.3 points per game at Copperas Cove High School this past season, and he joins junior college transfer Robert Turner as the second guard to join new head coach Tubby Smith’s program.
While Smith has plenty of work to do as he begins the process of rebuilding the Texas Tech program, the good news is that both Jaye Crockett and Jordan Tolbert elected to return to Lubbock for the 2013-14 campaign.
Crockett led the Red Raiders in both scoring and rebounds last season with averages of 11.9 points and 6.5 rebounds per game, and Tolbert (9.9, 5.5) finished the season second on the team in both statistical categories.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 0
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 4
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 4
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- Former Duke guard speaks publicly for first time since dismissal from team (5)