May 31, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
During the 1990s Ohio University forward Gary Trent was one of the most dominant players in college basketball, racking up more than 2,000 points and 1,000 rebounds during his four seasons in Athens.
Trent’s dominance resulted in an outstanding nickname (“The Shaq of the MAC”) and a spot in the 1995 NBA Draft lottery (selected 11th overall by the Milwaukee Bucks).
On Thursday night Trent, whose jersey was retired by Ohio on January 21, 2012, was one of seven people inducted into the Mid-American Conference Hall of Fame.
“When I was playing college ball I didn’t know this award [MAC Hall of Fame honor] even existed. I just went out and played hard, and I loved the game of basketball and I loved what I did,” Trent said during his induction speech.
In addition to Trent, the conference inducted Central Michigan baseball player/coach Dave Keilitz, Toledo women’s basketball star Kim Knuth, Miami University/Northern Illinois coach Bill Mallory (he also played at Miami University), Ball State football player Brad Maynard, Western Michigan football player John Offerdahl and Akron track and field athlete Christi Smith.
Trent helped lead the Bobcats to the NCAA tournament in 1994, and two of his teammates at Ohio were current Bradley head coach Geno Ford and current Ohio State assistant coach Jeff Boals.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- South Region Preview: Can anyone stop the Florida Gators? 0
- East Region Preview: Are Michigan State and Iowa State the two best teams? 1
- West Region Preview: Arizona rules, but chaos could reign 2
- Midwest Region Preview: Is 4-seed Louisville the favorite? 2
- POSTERIZED: Dunks of the Year compilation missing the Dunk of the Year (VIDEO) 0
- TV schedules, announcer pairings for 2014 NCAA Tournament 0
- Conference breakdown for 2014 NCAA Tournament 0
- Should Virginia be the fourth one-seed? 6
- Florida, Wichita State, Arizona, Virginia claim No. 1 seeds 2
- Final Bracketology: Florida is your overall No. 1 seed 5
- Was Duke’s Rodney Hood fouled by Clemson? You make the call (VIDEO) (21)
- Bracketology: Final No. 1 seed still a question mark (16)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Big Ten Tournament: Michigan survives furious Ohio State comeback (9)
- 2014 NCAA Tournament South Region: Instant Analysis (9)