May 31, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
The Old Dominion basketball program is embarking on a new journey this summer, with Jeff Jones being hired as the new head coach and the school making the move from the Colonial Athletic Association to Conference USA.
With that in mind, the Ted Constant Center floor will undergo a makeover according to an announcement from the school Friday afternoon.
“We feel that being known as the “Old Dominion” state and with such a large in state student and alumni presence of over 80,000 alumni in Virginia, this floor design will be embraced by all current, former and future students while bringing national attention and exposure to our great Commonwealth of Virginia and institution,” athletic director Wood Selig said in the release.
It’s a nice design, with the Old Dominion logo within the outline of the Commonwealth of Virginia (yes, Virginia is officially a commonwealth rather than a state).
The mid-court logo (concept-wise) is similar to the mid-field logo used at East Carolina’s Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium, and that kind of design isn’t something seen in many arenas.
But even with the nice floor, which will be sent off for resurfacing in late June, Coach Jones has quite the rebuilding task ahead of him. The Monarchs won just five games last season, and leading scorer DeShawn Painter is out of eligibility.
The hope is that with a new leader and now eligible for its conference tournament after CAA bylaws removed that possibility before last season even began, ODU can get back to respectability.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Askia Booker beats Kansas at the buzzer (VIDEO) 0
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again 2
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Figuring out the ACC 0
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games 4
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 5
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings (2)