May 31, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
The Old Dominion basketball program is embarking on a new journey this summer, with Jeff Jones being hired as the new head coach and the school making the move from the Colonial Athletic Association to Conference USA.
With that in mind, the Ted Constant Center floor will undergo a makeover according to an announcement from the school Friday afternoon.
“We feel that being known as the “Old Dominion” state and with such a large in state student and alumni presence of over 80,000 alumni in Virginia, this floor design will be embraced by all current, former and future students while bringing national attention and exposure to our great Commonwealth of Virginia and institution,” athletic director Wood Selig said in the release.
It’s a nice design, with the Old Dominion logo within the outline of the Commonwealth of Virginia (yes, Virginia is officially a commonwealth rather than a state).
The mid-court logo (concept-wise) is similar to the mid-field logo used at East Carolina’s Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium, and that kind of design isn’t something seen in many arenas.
But even with the nice floor, which will be sent off for resurfacing in late June, Coach Jones has quite the rebuilding task ahead of him. The Monarchs won just five games last season, and leading scorer DeShawn Painter is out of eligibility.
The hope is that with a new leader and now eligible for its conference tournament after CAA bylaws removed that possibility before last season even began, ODU can get back to respectability.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 1
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)