May 31, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
The Old Dominion basketball program is embarking on a new journey this summer, with Jeff Jones being hired as the new head coach and the school making the move from the Colonial Athletic Association to Conference USA.
With that in mind, the Ted Constant Center floor will undergo a makeover according to an announcement from the school Friday afternoon.
“We feel that being known as the “Old Dominion” state and with such a large in state student and alumni presence of over 80,000 alumni in Virginia, this floor design will be embraced by all current, former and future students while bringing national attention and exposure to our great Commonwealth of Virginia and institution,” athletic director Wood Selig said in the release.
It’s a nice design, with the Old Dominion logo within the outline of the Commonwealth of Virginia (yes, Virginia is officially a commonwealth rather than a state).
The mid-court logo (concept-wise) is similar to the mid-field logo used at East Carolina’s Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium, and that kind of design isn’t something seen in many arenas.
But even with the nice floor, which will be sent off for resurfacing in late June, Coach Jones has quite the rebuilding task ahead of him. The Monarchs won just five games last season, and leading scorer DeShawn Painter is out of eligibility.
The hope is that with a new leader and now eligible for its conference tournament after CAA bylaws removed that possibility before last season even began, ODU can get back to respectability.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (17)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)