May 31, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
The Old Dominion basketball program is embarking on a new journey this summer, with Jeff Jones being hired as the new head coach and the school making the move from the Colonial Athletic Association to Conference USA.
With that in mind, the Ted Constant Center floor will undergo a makeover according to an announcement from the school Friday afternoon.
“We feel that being known as the “Old Dominion” state and with such a large in state student and alumni presence of over 80,000 alumni in Virginia, this floor design will be embraced by all current, former and future students while bringing national attention and exposure to our great Commonwealth of Virginia and institution,” athletic director Wood Selig said in the release.
It’s a nice design, with the Old Dominion logo within the outline of the Commonwealth of Virginia (yes, Virginia is officially a commonwealth rather than a state).
The mid-court logo (concept-wise) is similar to the mid-field logo used at East Carolina’s Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium, and that kind of design isn’t something seen in many arenas.
But even with the nice floor, which will be sent off for resurfacing in late June, Coach Jones has quite the rebuilding task ahead of him. The Monarchs won just five games last season, and leading scorer DeShawn Painter is out of eligibility.
The hope is that with a new leader and now eligible for its conference tournament after CAA bylaws removed that possibility before last season even began, ODU can get back to respectability.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)