May 31, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
The Old Dominion basketball program is embarking on a new journey this summer, with Jeff Jones being hired as the new head coach and the school making the move from the Colonial Athletic Association to Conference USA.
With that in mind, the Ted Constant Center floor will undergo a makeover according to an announcement from the school Friday afternoon.
“We feel that being known as the “Old Dominion” state and with such a large in state student and alumni presence of over 80,000 alumni in Virginia, this floor design will be embraced by all current, former and future students while bringing national attention and exposure to our great Commonwealth of Virginia and institution,” athletic director Wood Selig said in the release.
It’s a nice design, with the Old Dominion logo within the outline of the Commonwealth of Virginia (yes, Virginia is officially a commonwealth rather than a state).
The mid-court logo (concept-wise) is similar to the mid-field logo used at East Carolina’s Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium, and that kind of design isn’t something seen in many arenas.
But even with the nice floor, which will be sent off for resurfacing in late June, Coach Jones has quite the rebuilding task ahead of him. The Monarchs won just five games last season, and leading scorer DeShawn Painter is out of eligibility.
The hope is that with a new leader and now eligible for its conference tournament after CAA bylaws removed that possibility before last season even began, ODU can get back to respectability.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 1
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)