May 31, 2013, 11:08 AM EST
With T.J. Otzelberger’s decision to join Lorenzo Romar’s staff at Washington, Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg had a position that needed to be filled.
On Friday it was announced by the school that Hoiberg has filled the vacancy, with the experienced Doc Sadler being the choice. Iowa State’s announcement came on the heels of a report from Jason King of ESPN.com earlier Friday that the hire was complete.
Sadler, who last season served as director of basketball operations on Bill Self’s staff at Kansas, has eight seasons of head coach experience at UTEP and Nebraska.
Sadler has a career head coaching record of 149-107 (at the Division I level), and with his experience at both Nebraska (the Huskers joined the Big Ten in 2011) and Kansas he’s certainly familiar with the Big 12.
“I am thrilled that Coach Sadler will be joining the Iowa State family,” Hoiberg said in the statement announced the hire. “Doc brings a wealth of experience to our staff and is respected in the profession. His Big 12 coaching experience and extensive recruiting background will help on the road and make him a very valuable member of our staff.”
Sadler joins Matt Abdelmassih and Cornell Mann on Hoiberg’s staff.
In other staff news at Iowa State, Hoiberg announced the promotion of Charlie Henry to director of player development. As a graduate assistant last season Henry was in charge of all video editing.
“Charlie is very talented and his video editing knowledge has been beneficial for our program,” Hoiberg said in the release. “He will continue to do a lot of video work and we will expand his job duties as well. We are excited to be able to keep him on our staff.”
It’s been a busy week in Ames, as it was reported late Thursday that former Marshall guard DeAndre Kane will transfer to Iowa State.
With Kane joining forwards Melvin Ejim and Georges Niang, Cyclone fans are hopeful that “The Mayor” can lead his alma mater to a third straight NCAA tournament appearance despite heavy personnel losses from last year’s team.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 9
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 15
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (17)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)