May 31, 2013, 11:08 AM EST
With T.J. Otzelberger’s decision to join Lorenzo Romar’s staff at Washington, Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg had a position that needed to be filled.
On Friday it was announced by the school that Hoiberg has filled the vacancy, with the experienced Doc Sadler being the choice. Iowa State’s announcement came on the heels of a report from Jason King of ESPN.com earlier Friday that the hire was complete.
Sadler, who last season served as director of basketball operations on Bill Self’s staff at Kansas, has eight seasons of head coach experience at UTEP and Nebraska.
Sadler has a career head coaching record of 149-107 (at the Division I level), and with his experience at both Nebraska (the Huskers joined the Big Ten in 2011) and Kansas he’s certainly familiar with the Big 12.
“I am thrilled that Coach Sadler will be joining the Iowa State family,” Hoiberg said in the statement announced the hire. “Doc brings a wealth of experience to our staff and is respected in the profession. His Big 12 coaching experience and extensive recruiting background will help on the road and make him a very valuable member of our staff.”
Sadler joins Matt Abdelmassih and Cornell Mann on Hoiberg’s staff.
In other staff news at Iowa State, Hoiberg announced the promotion of Charlie Henry to director of player development. As a graduate assistant last season Henry was in charge of all video editing.
“Charlie is very talented and his video editing knowledge has been beneficial for our program,” Hoiberg said in the release. “He will continue to do a lot of video work and we will expand his job duties as well. We are excited to be able to keep him on our staff.”
It’s been a busy week in Ames, as it was reported late Thursday that former Marshall guard DeAndre Kane will transfer to Iowa State.
With Kane joining forwards Melvin Ejim and Georges Niang, Cyclone fans are hopeful that “The Mayor” can lead his alma mater to a third straight NCAA tournament appearance despite heavy personnel losses from last year’s team.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss 3
- Michigan’s process of adjusting to key personnel losses hasn’t been a smooth one 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Georgetown discusses becoming first college basketball team to wear ‘I Can’t Breathe’ T-shirts (PHOTO) (9)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)