Jun 1, 2013, 11:11 PM EDT
Welcome to the Pollyanna News Report. We’ve heard so much about college basketball stars as “free agents” recently, I thought I’d take a look at a kid who plans to dance with the partner what brung him, even though is skills could theoretically land him a title shot at a major program if he chose to transfer.
Travis Bader is well known to college hoops aficionados as a deadeye shooter who engaged in thrilling scoring duels with SDSU’s Nate Wolters in the Summit League last season. Bader received his Communications degree from Oakland in 2012, but still has a year of eligibility remaining: the classic graduate transfer opportunity. A reliable shooter like Bader could probably have found a Luke Hancock-like role for a contender, but Bader says he’s staying put.
“Oakland has given me this great opportunity and they saw a great player in me when nobody else did,” Bader told the Oakland Press.
“I’m just really comfortable with the coaches and the players here … I couldn’t imagine leaving my brothers here at Oakland.”
Bader also has a shot at a pretty high-profile record, wherever he plays his final year. He currently holds the Michigan school’s record with 357 made three-pointers. The NCAA career record is 457, held by polarizing former Duke Blue Devil J.J. Redick. Bader has averaged well over 100 triples per season over his past two years in Rochester.
The Golden Grizzlies will play in the Horizon League next year, so Bader’s quest for the 3-point title will come against a host of unfamiliar opponents, though the new in-conference rivalry with Detroit should prove to be intense. However it plays out, Bader’s record chase should be an individual effort worth watching in the upcoming season.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)