Jun 1, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
We reported yesterday on a possible rule change being considered by the NCAA. Per John Infante of College Sports Scholarships, the governing body may waive limits on meal money and clothing allowances for student athletes, in essence clearing the way for athletic departments to assist athletes with living expenses that were previously seriously curtailed.
I consulted filmmaker and former USC football player Bob DeMars for an opinion on these measures. DeMars is currently raising funds for his documentary “The Business of Amateurs”, which will take a look at the physical price college athletes pay to participate in sports, as well as the financial benefits colleges can reap from the system of amateurism. DeMars says college basketball fans had a close-up look at the dangers of NCAA play when Louisville’s Kevin Ware was injured on national television last March.
According to a report by the National College Players Association (NCPA) and Drexler University, the average basketball player is worth over a million dollars during their college career and a football player is worth $500,000, even after the value of their education is subtracted. Addressing CBT via email, DeMars gave the NCAA credit for starting to look at those numbers in light of yesterday’s report.
I took a look at the article and thought it was interesting. It’s a step in the right direction, but there is still a long way to go. The average student athlete incurs over $3,000 in debt every year just to live and get by; this would help alleviate that stress, especially for low-income families of student athletes.Think about this: the average stipend of the college football player has increased along with the rate of inflation for the past 30 years; however, coaches salaries have skyrocketed at an exponential rate. A coach gets a $2 million bonus option in his contract and nobody bats an eye, but try to give the student/athlete enough money to live on and it’s a controversy.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)