Jun 1, 2013, 4:15 PM EST
The San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that Cal State Northridge Matadors forward Brandon Perry will head south on I-5 and recommence his college hoops career with the San Diego Toreros next season.
(Side note: apparently a matador and a torero are sort of the same thing. You learn something new every day.)
Perry played fairly well as a freshman last season, averaging 6.3 points for the Matadors and appearing in 29 games.
San Diego coach Bill Grier told the Union-Tribune that Perry sought a transfer after Northridge declined to renew the contract of former head coach Bobby Braswell. When he arrives at San Diego, Perry will have to sit out a transfer season, but he’ll have three seasons of eligibility left for USD afterward. Grier says he’ll take that time to work on the 6’7″, 275-lb. Perry’s physique and post-up game.
“I don’t want him to lose his thickness. I like that. But we’ve got to get him in better shape,” Grier said. “He’s aggressive. He can score around the basket pretty well, plus step out 15, 17 feet and knock down the shot pretty consistently.”
Perry has already enrolled at San Diego and will begin summer classes on Monday. He’ll join the team on the floor in the 2014-15 season as the program struggles to compete in the tough West Coast Conference while attempting to put a devastating point-shaving scandal in the rear-view mirror.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)