Jun 1, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
The San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that Cal State Northridge Matadors forward Brandon Perry will head south on I-5 and recommence his college hoops career with the San Diego Toreros next season.
(Side note: apparently a matador and a torero are sort of the same thing. You learn something new every day.)
Perry played fairly well as a freshman last season, averaging 6.3 points for the Matadors and appearing in 29 games.
San Diego coach Bill Grier told the Union-Tribune that Perry sought a transfer after Northridge declined to renew the contract of former head coach Bobby Braswell. When he arrives at San Diego, Perry will have to sit out a transfer season, but he’ll have three seasons of eligibility left for USD afterward. Grier says he’ll take that time to work on the 6’7″, 275-lb. Perry’s physique and post-up game.
“I don’t want him to lose his thickness. I like that. But we’ve got to get him in better shape,” Grier said. “He’s aggressive. He can score around the basket pretty well, plus step out 15, 17 feet and knock down the shot pretty consistently.”
Perry has already enrolled at San Diego and will begin summer classes on Monday. He’ll join the team on the floor in the 2014-15 season as the program struggles to compete in the tough West Coast Conference while attempting to put a devastating point-shaving scandal in the rear-view mirror.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)