Jun 2, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
When Keaton Miles announced he would be transferring from West Virginia, that opened up an available scholarship for the 2013-14 season. Miles’ transfer came as a surprise to some of the West Virginia faithful, especially since Bob Huggins’ 2011 recruiting class will nearly be non-existent on next year’s team:
Miles’ departure leaves even more questions unanswered regarding the future of WVU hoops, and puts Huggins further under the microscope for his already staggering transfer rate. Of the original 2011 recruiting class, only Gary Browne remains, and the depth for seasoned talent has dwindled.
Despite the high attrition rate, many believe that Huggins’ 2013 recruiting class may be his best yet in next season his seventh in Morgantown. The fact that West Virginia’s 2013 class features six players listed at 6-foot-7 or taller meant that Miles may have seen his minutes decrease as a junior.
With Miles’ departure, in comes 6-foot-2 guard Daxter Miles from Baltimore, MD. He announced yesterday afternoon via Twitter:
With the Mountaineers lacking depth in their backcourt next season, Miles should be able to see minutes early. However, academics and test scores have been a concern for Miles, and his eligibility next season may hinge on his performance on standardized test scores later in June. According to Jon Martin of BlueGoldNews.com, Miles has been very appreciative of the West Virginia coaching staff sticking with him:
Below is Miles’ highlight reel:
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4