Jun 2, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
Rick Pitino Jr. received some good news recently learning that Joey King will return home to play for Minnesota. King, a native of Eagan, MN, averaged 6.9 points as a freshman at Drake earning All-Freshmen honors in the Missouri Valley.
In early May, King announced his decision to leave the Drake program. Ryan James–a writer for GopherIllustrated.com–explained King’s reasoning for transferring back on May 10th:
Per Evan Daniels, who broke the news on Sunday afternoon, King will likely receive a waiver to play immediately:
On the court, King has the ability to stretch a defense standing at 6-foot-9, but spending a fair amount of time beyond the arc. King shot 34.7% from the perimeter last season (33-95), and actually took more three-pointers than twos.
While it’s always nice to have a big forward who can step out and hit a three, it would behoove King to continue to develop his inside game as the Golden Gophers will have to replace two big bodies on the inside: Trevor Mbakwe and Rodney Williams.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 20
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (20)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)