Jun 2, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
Rick Pitino Jr. received some good news recently learning that Joey King will return home to play for Minnesota. King, a native of Eagan, MN, averaged 6.9 points as a freshman at Drake earning All-Freshmen honors in the Missouri Valley.
In early May, King announced his decision to leave the Drake program. Ryan James–a writer for GopherIllustrated.com–explained King’s reasoning for transferring back on May 10th:
Per Evan Daniels, who broke the news on Sunday afternoon, King will likely receive a waiver to play immediately:
On the court, King has the ability to stretch a defense standing at 6-foot-9, but spending a fair amount of time beyond the arc. King shot 34.7% from the perimeter last season (33-95), and actually took more three-pointers than twos.
While it’s always nice to have a big forward who can step out and hit a three, it would behoove King to continue to develop his inside game as the Golden Gophers will have to replace two big bodies on the inside: Trevor Mbakwe and Rodney Williams.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)