Jun 2, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Rick Pitino Jr. received some good news recently learning that Joey King will return home to play for Minnesota. King, a native of Eagan, MN, averaged 6.9 points as a freshman at Drake earning All-Freshmen honors in the Missouri Valley.
In early May, King announced his decision to leave the Drake program. Ryan James–a writer for GopherIllustrated.com–explained King’s reasoning for transferring back on May 10th:
Per Evan Daniels, who broke the news on Sunday afternoon, King will likely receive a waiver to play immediately:
On the court, King has the ability to stretch a defense standing at 6-foot-9, but spending a fair amount of time beyond the arc. King shot 34.7% from the perimeter last season (33-95), and actually took more three-pointers than twos.
While it’s always nice to have a big forward who can step out and hit a three, it would behoove King to continue to develop his inside game as the Golden Gophers will have to replace two big bodies on the inside: Trevor Mbakwe and Rodney Williams.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Hoiberg to Chicago means Iowa State has everything riding on hiring right replacement 2
- Brandon Austin’s latest mistake: using the media to try and garner sympathy 2
- Former Missouri forward Johnathan Williams III transfers to Gonzaga 2
- Reports: #FredHoibergWatch takes another step forward 0
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 44
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Auburn center Trayvon Reed released from jail (5)
- Amidst Iowa State rumors, Jeff Hornacek discusses commitment to Phoenix Suns (5)
- Roy Williams says he has not yet seen UNC’s Notice of Allegations (5)
- Report: San Diego State coach Steve Fisher wants to get rid of one-and-done (4)