Jun 2, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Rick Pitino Jr. received some good news recently learning that Joey King will return home to play for Minnesota. King, a native of Eagan, MN, averaged 6.9 points as a freshman at Drake earning All-Freshmen honors in the Missouri Valley.
In early May, King announced his decision to leave the Drake program. Ryan James–a writer for GopherIllustrated.com–explained King’s reasoning for transferring back on May 10th:
One of Joey's family members is unfortunately ill so he's looking to transfer home to be closer to family.—
Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) May 10, 2013
Per Evan Daniels, who broke the news on Sunday afternoon, King will likely receive a waiver to play immediately:
Joey King from Drake is headed to Minnesota, a source says. Likely will get a waiver to play right away.—
Evan Daniels (@EvanDanielsFOX) June 02, 2013
On the court, King has the ability to stretch a defense standing at 6-foot-9, but spending a fair amount of time beyond the arc. King shot 34.7% from the perimeter last season (33-95), and actually took more three-pointers than twos.
While it’s always nice to have a big forward who can step out and hit a three, it would behoove King to continue to develop his inside game as the Golden Gophers will have to replace two big bodies on the inside: Trevor Mbakwe and Rodney Williams.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)
- Report: 2015 phenom Ben Simmons fully committed to attending LSU (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)