Jun 2, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Rick Pitino Jr. received some good news recently learning that Joey King will return home to play for Minnesota. King, a native of Eagan, MN, averaged 6.9 points as a freshman at Drake earning All-Freshmen honors in the Missouri Valley.
In early May, King announced his decision to leave the Drake program. Ryan James–a writer for GopherIllustrated.com–explained King’s reasoning for transferring back on May 10th:
One of Joey's family members is unfortunately ill so he's looking to transfer home to be closer to family.—
Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) May 10, 2013
Per Evan Daniels, who broke the news on Sunday afternoon, King will likely receive a waiver to play immediately:
Joey King from Drake is headed to Minnesota, a source says. Likely will get a waiver to play right away.—
Evan Daniels (@EvanDanielsFOX) June 02, 2013
On the court, King has the ability to stretch a defense standing at 6-foot-9, but spending a fair amount of time beyond the arc. King shot 34.7% from the perimeter last season (33-95), and actually took more three-pointers than twos.
While it’s always nice to have a big forward who can step out and hit a three, it would behoove King to continue to develop his inside game as the Golden Gophers will have to replace two big bodies on the inside: Trevor Mbakwe and Rodney Williams.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 0
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 0
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 2
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 0
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 0
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)