Jun 2, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
Rick Pitino Jr. received some good news recently learning that Joey King will return home to play for Minnesota. King, a native of Eagan, MN, averaged 6.9 points as a freshman at Drake earning All-Freshmen honors in the Missouri Valley.
In early May, King announced his decision to leave the Drake program. Ryan James–a writer for GopherIllustrated.com–explained King’s reasoning for transferring back on May 10th:
Per Evan Daniels, who broke the news on Sunday afternoon, King will likely receive a waiver to play immediately:
On the court, King has the ability to stretch a defense standing at 6-foot-9, but spending a fair amount of time beyond the arc. King shot 34.7% from the perimeter last season (33-95), and actually took more three-pointers than twos.
While it’s always nice to have a big forward who can step out and hit a three, it would behoove King to continue to develop his inside game as the Golden Gophers will have to replace two big bodies on the inside: Trevor Mbakwe and Rodney Williams.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- The ten biggest disappointments of the 2014-2015 college basketball season 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Gonzaga Bulldogs 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Duke Blue Devils 0
- The ten biggest surprises in college basketball in 2014-2015 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: UConn Huskies 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor remains on top 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Louisville Cardinals 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (3)
- One suitor for Duke transfer hopes to land him despite not having an available scholarship (3)