Jun 2, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
St. Francis’ (PA) leading scorer last season, Umar Shannon, will use his fifth year of eligibility at Quinnipiac University playing for Tom Moore. Shannon averaged 11.2 points, 2.3 rebounds, and 3.3 assists under first year head coach Rob Krimmel in a grueling 5-24 season.
Hailing from Atlantic City, NJ, Shannon also considered Fairfield, Canisius, Hofstra and Albany, according to William Paxton. Ultimately, Shannon chose to be a Bobcat over fellow in-state school Fairfield since Quinnipiac affords him the opportunity to complete his master’s degree in one year; Fairfield does not offer any one year programs.
As is becoming customary in the age of social media, Shannon announced his decision to transfer to Quinnipiac in a short and direct tweet:
As a junior at St. Francis (PA), Shannon was poised to have a big season after averaging 15.8 points as a sophomore. He netted 26 points in the Red Flash’s opening game against Virginia Commonwealth, but tore his ACL prior to their second game of the season against Lafayette.
Shannon graduated from St. Francis (PA), and will be able to play immediately for Tom Moore. With Quinnipiac graduating their starting point guard and perhaps best player, Dave Johnson, Shannon will help fill the void in the backcourt.
As Quinnipiac makes the transition from the NEC to the MAAC—a definite step-up in terms of competition—having a veteran presence in their lineup will certainly help.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)