Jun 2, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
St. Francis’ (PA) leading scorer last season, Umar Shannon, will use his fifth year of eligibility at Quinnipiac University playing for Tom Moore. Shannon averaged 11.2 points, 2.3 rebounds, and 3.3 assists under first year head coach Rob Krimmel in a grueling 5-24 season.
Hailing from Atlantic City, NJ, Shannon also considered Fairfield, Canisius, Hofstra and Albany, according to William Paxton. Ultimately, Shannon chose to be a Bobcat over fellow in-state school Fairfield since Quinnipiac affords him the opportunity to complete his master’s degree in one year; Fairfield does not offer any one year programs.
As is becoming customary in the age of social media, Shannon announced his decision to transfer to Quinnipiac in a short and direct tweet:
As a junior at St. Francis (PA), Shannon was poised to have a big season after averaging 15.8 points as a sophomore. He netted 26 points in the Red Flash’s opening game against Virginia Commonwealth, but tore his ACL prior to their second game of the season against Lafayette.
Shannon graduated from St. Francis (PA), and will be able to play immediately for Tom Moore. With Quinnipiac graduating their starting point guard and perhaps best player, Dave Johnson, Shannon will help fill the void in the backcourt.
As Quinnipiac makes the transition from the NEC to the MAAC—a definite step-up in terms of competition—having a veteran presence in their lineup will certainly help.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 18
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (18)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)