Jun 2, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
La Salle can largely credit their most successful season in more than 50 years to senior guard Ramon Galloway. As a #13 seed relegated to playing in the First Round in Dayton, the Explorers defeated Boise State, and then upset Kansas State and Mississippi to advance to the Sweet 16. You’d have to go back to 1955 when La Salle reached the National Championship to find a more successful season.
The 6-foot-3 transfer from South Carolina—who impressively ranks in the top 50 all-time at La Salle in points scored despite only playing for two seasons—will receive the Wali Jones Male College Player of the Year Award on June 14th.
The award–named after former Villanova star Walter “Wali” Jones–was established in 2011 to honor a collegiate player who played in the Philadelphia Public League. Kansas’ Marcus and Markieff Morris won the inaugural award.
Galloway played his first two seasons of high school ball at Freire Charter before moving to Florida to finish out his high school career. As a senior, Galloway did it all for La Salle averaging 17.2 points, 4.6 rebounds, and 3.7 assists, while shooting a blistering 41.2% from three and 82.7% from the stripe.
Galloway has already earned first team All-Atlantic 10 and Big 5 recognition, as well as first team all-district honors from the USBWA and NABC.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Team 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 1
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (6)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Congratulations to Dickie V on 35 years of broadcasting (VIDEO) (3)
- VCU’s half court scoring issues becoming a concern? (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)