Jun 2, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
La Salle can largely credit their most successful season in more than 50 years to senior guard Ramon Galloway. As a #13 seed relegated to playing in the First Round in Dayton, the Explorers defeated Boise State, and then upset Kansas State and Mississippi to advance to the Sweet 16. You’d have to go back to 1955 when La Salle reached the National Championship to find a more successful season.
The 6-foot-3 transfer from South Carolina—who impressively ranks in the top 50 all-time at La Salle in points scored despite only playing for two seasons—will receive the Wali Jones Male College Player of the Year Award on June 14th.
The award–named after former Villanova star Walter “Wali” Jones–was established in 2011 to honor a collegiate player who played in the Philadelphia Public League. Kansas’ Marcus and Markieff Morris won the inaugural award.
Galloway played his first two seasons of high school ball at Freire Charter before moving to Florida to finish out his high school career. As a senior, Galloway did it all for La Salle averaging 17.2 points, 4.6 rebounds, and 3.7 assists, while shooting a blistering 41.2% from three and 82.7% from the stripe.
Galloway has already earned first team All-Atlantic 10 and Big 5 recognition, as well as first team all-district honors from the USBWA and NABC.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)