Jun 2, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Just one head coaching vacancy remains at the Division I level, and that position may be filled in short order.
According to Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com Stetson is expected to hire Florida State assistant Corey Williams as the school’s new head coach. Williams, who has spent the last six years on Leonard Hamilton’s staff in Tallahassee, was an assistant at Oral Roberts for seven seasons before joining Hamilton’s staff.
Stetson has scheduled a press conference for 2:30 p.m. Monday afternoon to announce the hiring of a new head coach.
If Williams is the pick he replaces Casey Alexander, who stepped down last month after two years at Stetson. In two seasons at Stetson, Alexander went 24-36 (17-19 Atlantic Sun) with Adam Pegg and Chris Perez earning all-conference honors in 2012-13.
With Pegg (15.7 ppg, 6.3 rpg) out of eligibility and Perez (15.1, 4.1) transferring the Hatters have to replace their top three scorers from a season ago, with guard Joel Naburgs (10.1, 4.3, 3.9 apg) being the other key departure.
Stetson does have four players signed to a National Letter of Intent, and they’ll join a group led by guard Aaron Graham (11.2, 3.6) and forward Willie Green (8.3, 6.6). Green started all 31 games for the Hatters last season, leading the team in rebounding, while Graham was one of the better sixth men in the Atlantic Sun.
“I am determined to move quickly to find a coach who will be dedicated to returning Stetson men’s basketball to its proper place,” Stetson AD Jeff Altier said at the time of Alexander’s departure.
“We will move aggressively to find a new coach who will lead our program with character and passion, as well as a commitment to this fine university and its student-athletes.”
Williams has plenty of experience at the collegiate level as an assistant, and he also won an NBA title as a player with the Chicago Bulls in 1993. Williams, who played two of his four seasons at Oklahoma State for Hamilton, was quite the athlete as he was drafted by both the Bulls and the Kansas City Chiefs.
The hope for Stetson is that Williams’ work at Florida State as a recruiter and a tutor of guards will help turn the Hatters into a consistent contender in the A-Sun.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 1
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)