Jun 3, 2013, 7:20 PM EDT
Heading into its first season in the Southland Conference, Houston Baptist will need all the help it can get in an attempt to earn the program’s first-ever NCAA Division I Tournament berth. Some of that help may have come in the form of Oregon transfer Fred Richardson III, who will now suit up for the Huskies, the school announced on Monday.
The Houston native will sit out the 2013-14 season and have three seasons of eligibility remaining.
In his lone season with the Ducks, Richardson III played sparingly, seeing time in just 10 contests and averaging 2.4 points and 0.8 rebounds in 5.1 minutes per game.
He was a prep standout at Clear Brook High School, winning the Guy V. Lewis Award in 2012. He’s already enrolled in summer school for the Huskies.
Houston Baptist finished 14-17 last season, 3-5 in the Great West Conference, which is not automatically eligible for an NCAA Tournament berth. The conference tournament champion is given a berth to the CIT.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)