Jun 3, 2013, 7:20 PM EDT
Heading into its first season in the Southland Conference, Houston Baptist will need all the help it can get in an attempt to earn the program’s first-ever NCAA Division I Tournament berth. Some of that help may have come in the form of Oregon transfer Fred Richardson III, who will now suit up for the Huskies, the school announced on Monday.
The Houston native will sit out the 2013-14 season and have three seasons of eligibility remaining.
In his lone season with the Ducks, Richardson III played sparingly, seeing time in just 10 contests and averaging 2.4 points and 0.8 rebounds in 5.1 minutes per game.
He was a prep standout at Clear Brook High School, winning the Guy V. Lewis Award in 2012. He’s already enrolled in summer school for the Huskies.
Houston Baptist finished 14-17 last season, 3-5 in the Great West Conference, which is not automatically eligible for an NCAA Tournament berth. The conference tournament champion is given a berth to the CIT.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)