Jun 3, 2013, 7:20 PM EST
Heading into its first season in the Southland Conference, Houston Baptist will need all the help it can get in an attempt to earn the program’s first-ever NCAA Division I Tournament berth. Some of that help may have come in the form of Oregon transfer Fred Richardson III, who will now suit up for the Huskies, the school announced on Monday.
The Houston native will sit out the 2013-14 season and have three seasons of eligibility remaining.
In his lone season with the Ducks, Richardson III played sparingly, seeing time in just 10 contests and averaging 2.4 points and 0.8 rebounds in 5.1 minutes per game.
He was a prep standout at Clear Brook High School, winning the Guy V. Lewis Award in 2012. He’s already enrolled in summer school for the Huskies.
Houston Baptist finished 14-17 last season, 3-5 in the Great West Conference, which is not automatically eligible for an NCAA Tournament berth. The conference tournament champion is given a berth to the CIT.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 12
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 5
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)
- Burning Questions: Who gets the last shot? (3)