Jun 3, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
Arguably the biggest loss for any team in the SEC last season (not named Nerlens Noel) was Tennessee forward Jeronne Maymon, who missed all of the 2012-13 season with a knee injury that eventually required surgery.
Well it looks like Maymon might be close to being completely recovered.
The fifth-year senior told GoVolx247.com that he’ll be back to full health next month.
“I should be 100 percent by the end of July,” he said Saturday.
As a junior in 2011-12, Maymon broke out, averaging 12.7 points and 8.1 rebounds in 28.1 minutes per game for the Volunteers. The 6-7 Maymon had averaged 2.6 points in 9.1 minutes as a sophomore in 2010-11. Maymon was an all-SEC performer in 2011-12.
The Madison, Wisc. native won’t be relied heavily upon this upcoming season with Jordan McRae and Jarnell Stokes returning, but his presence will go a long way to giving coach Cuonzo Martin his first trip to the NCAA Tournament as head coach in Knoxville.
Maymon doesn’t have anymore swelling or immediate pain in the surgically-repaired knee, and he’s focused on just getting into shape at the moment.
“God willing, I’ll be out there, 100 percent, and doing everything I used to do and better,” Maymon said. “I’m really excited. I’m really anxious.”
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)