Jun 3, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Arguably the biggest loss for any team in the SEC last season (not named Nerlens Noel) was Tennessee forward Jeronne Maymon, who missed all of the 2012-13 season with a knee injury that eventually required surgery.
Well it looks like Maymon might be close to being completely recovered.
The fifth-year senior told GoVolx247.com that he’ll be back to full health next month.
“I should be 100 percent by the end of July,” he said Saturday.
As a junior in 2011-12, Maymon broke out, averaging 12.7 points and 8.1 rebounds in 28.1 minutes per game for the Volunteers. The 6-7 Maymon had averaged 2.6 points in 9.1 minutes as a sophomore in 2010-11. Maymon was an all-SEC performer in 2011-12.
The Madison, Wisc. native won’t be relied heavily upon this upcoming season with Jordan McRae and Jarnell Stokes returning, but his presence will go a long way to giving coach Cuonzo Martin his first trip to the NCAA Tournament as head coach in Knoxville.
Maymon doesn’t have anymore swelling or immediate pain in the surgically-repaired knee, and he’s focused on just getting into shape at the moment.
“God willing, I’ll be out there, 100 percent, and doing everything I used to do and better,” Maymon said. “I’m really excited. I’m really anxious.”
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)