Jun 3, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Arguably the biggest loss for any team in the SEC last season (not named Nerlens Noel) was Tennessee forward Jeronne Maymon, who missed all of the 2012-13 season with a knee injury that eventually required surgery.
Well it looks like Maymon might be close to being completely recovered.
The fifth-year senior told GoVolx247.com that he’ll be back to full health next month.
“I should be 100 percent by the end of July,” he said Saturday.
As a junior in 2011-12, Maymon broke out, averaging 12.7 points and 8.1 rebounds in 28.1 minutes per game for the Volunteers. The 6-7 Maymon had averaged 2.6 points in 9.1 minutes as a sophomore in 2010-11. Maymon was an all-SEC performer in 2011-12.
The Madison, Wisc. native won’t be relied heavily upon this upcoming season with Jordan McRae and Jarnell Stokes returning, but his presence will go a long way to giving coach Cuonzo Martin his first trip to the NCAA Tournament as head coach in Knoxville.
Maymon doesn’t have anymore swelling or immediate pain in the surgically-repaired knee, and he’s focused on just getting into shape at the moment.
“God willing, I’ll be out there, 100 percent, and doing everything I used to do and better,” Maymon said. “I’m really excited. I’m really anxious.”
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)