Jun 3, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
Arguably the biggest loss for any team in the SEC last season (not named Nerlens Noel) was Tennessee forward Jeronne Maymon, who missed all of the 2012-13 season with a knee injury that eventually required surgery.
Well it looks like Maymon might be close to being completely recovered.
The fifth-year senior told GoVolx247.com that he’ll be back to full health next month.
“I should be 100 percent by the end of July,” he said Saturday.
As a junior in 2011-12, Maymon broke out, averaging 12.7 points and 8.1 rebounds in 28.1 minutes per game for the Volunteers. The 6-7 Maymon had averaged 2.6 points in 9.1 minutes as a sophomore in 2010-11. Maymon was an all-SEC performer in 2011-12.
The Madison, Wisc. native won’t be relied heavily upon this upcoming season with Jordan McRae and Jarnell Stokes returning, but his presence will go a long way to giving coach Cuonzo Martin his first trip to the NCAA Tournament as head coach in Knoxville.
Maymon doesn’t have anymore swelling or immediate pain in the surgically-repaired knee, and he’s focused on just getting into shape at the moment.
“God willing, I’ll be out there, 100 percent, and doing everything I used to do and better,” Maymon said. “I’m really excited. I’m really anxious.”
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)