Jun 3, 2013, 10:19 AM EDT
Joshua Brown, a nine-year old cancer patient that had befriended the St. Louis basketball team during the 2012-2013 season, passed away over the weekend.
Brown had been connected with the Billikens through a program called Friends of Jaclyn that links children with brain tumors to college sports teams. He had suffered from glioblastoma multiforme.
Brown was decked out at St. Louis home games in a Billiken jersey, and even traveled with the team to San Jose for their opening weekend in NCAA tournament play. He was so dedicated to St. Louis, that he wouldn’t let his fandom be bought by a kind gesture and a care package from Butler back in February. Every sports fan can respect that.
Tom Timmerman of STLToday.com wrote a terrific story on Brown’s friendship with the players on the St. Louis team back in January. For a team that was still reeling from the loss of their former coach Rick Majerus, Brown did just as much to help the Billikens heal as they did to cheer him up in his final months.
Josh packed an awful lot of passion into a small body. And he did an awesome Jim Crews impression. He’ll be missed.
— Tom Timmermann (@tomtimm) June 3, 2013
Our biggest fan passed away today. You will be missed Joshua. Please send your thoughts and prayers to Rhonda, Doug and Allison.
— SLU Men’s Basketball (@SaintLouisMBB) June 3, 2013
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)