Jun 3, 2013, 5:34 PM EDT
Former Campbell guard Trey Freeman has found a new program.
The junior-to-be will be taking his 14.3 points, 5.8 assists and 3.2 rebound-per-game averages from last season to Old Dominion next year, according to multiple reports.
The 6-2 native of Virginia Beach, Va. was the workhorse for the Fighting Camels the last two seasons, averaging 32 and 37.2 minutes per game and shooting 87.1 and 82.8 percent from the free throw line. He did all this while playing a majority of the season with a broken bone in his right foot.
Freeman was the 2011-12 Big South Conference Freshman of the Year, averaging 13.9 points and 3.8 assists two seasons ago.
Freeman expressed a desire to be closer to home when the transfer announcement was made. The Norfolk, Va. campus is 33 minutes from his hometown.
Campbell point guard Trey Campbell transferring to Old Dominion, according to reports. Really nice pickup. Very impressed with him.
— Jeff Borzello (@jeffborzello) June 3, 2013
It’s a bit of a lateral move for Freeman, who goes from a mediocre-at-best situation in terms of teams, to a team that fired it’s coach — Blaine Taylor — mid-season and replaced him with former American coach Jeff Jones, who is tasked with helping the Monarchs get off the floor after a 5-25 record in 2012-13. This season came just two removed from winning back-to-back Colonial Athletic Association tournament championships.
Campbell finished 13-20 last season, 7-9 in the Big South. As a result, coach Robbie Lang was fired.
The Monarchs make the jump to Conference USA beginning next season.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)