Jun 3, 2013, 5:34 PM EDT
Former Campbell guard Trey Freeman has found a new program.
The junior-to-be will be taking his 14.3 points, 5.8 assists and 3.2 rebound-per-game averages from last season to Old Dominion next year, according to multiple reports.
The 6-2 native of Virginia Beach, Va. was the workhorse for the Fighting Camels the last two seasons, averaging 32 and 37.2 minutes per game and shooting 87.1 and 82.8 percent from the free throw line. He did all this while playing a majority of the season with a broken bone in his right foot.
Freeman was the 2011-12 Big South Conference Freshman of the Year, averaging 13.9 points and 3.8 assists two seasons ago.
Freeman expressed a desire to be closer to home when the transfer announcement was made. The Norfolk, Va. campus is 33 minutes from his hometown.
Campbell point guard Trey Campbell transferring to Old Dominion, according to reports. Really nice pickup. Very impressed with him.
— Jeff Borzello (@jeffborzello) June 3, 2013
It’s a bit of a lateral move for Freeman, who goes from a mediocre-at-best situation in terms of teams, to a team that fired it’s coach — Blaine Taylor — mid-season and replaced him with former American coach Jeff Jones, who is tasked with helping the Monarchs get off the floor after a 5-25 record in 2012-13. This season came just two removed from winning back-to-back Colonial Athletic Association tournament championships.
Campbell finished 13-20 last season, 7-9 in the Big South. As a result, coach Robbie Lang was fired.
The Monarchs make the jump to Conference USA beginning next season.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)