Jun 3, 2013, 5:34 PM EDT
Former Campbell guard Trey Freeman has found a new program.
The junior-to-be will be taking his 14.3 points, 5.8 assists and 3.2 rebound-per-game averages from last season to Old Dominion next year, according to multiple reports.
The 6-2 native of Virginia Beach, Va. was the workhorse for the Fighting Camels the last two seasons, averaging 32 and 37.2 minutes per game and shooting 87.1 and 82.8 percent from the free throw line. He did all this while playing a majority of the season with a broken bone in his right foot.
Freeman was the 2011-12 Big South Conference Freshman of the Year, averaging 13.9 points and 3.8 assists two seasons ago.
Freeman expressed a desire to be closer to home when the transfer announcement was made. The Norfolk, Va. campus is 33 minutes from his hometown.
Campbell point guard Trey Campbell transferring to Old Dominion, according to reports. Really nice pickup. Very impressed with him.
— Jeff Borzello (@jeffborzello) June 3, 2013
It’s a bit of a lateral move for Freeman, who goes from a mediocre-at-best situation in terms of teams, to a team that fired it’s coach — Blaine Taylor — mid-season and replaced him with former American coach Jeff Jones, who is tasked with helping the Monarchs get off the floor after a 5-25 record in 2012-13. This season came just two removed from winning back-to-back Colonial Athletic Association tournament championships.
Campbell finished 13-20 last season, 7-9 in the Big South. As a result, coach Robbie Lang was fired.
The Monarchs make the jump to Conference USA beginning next season.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)