Jun 3, 2013, 5:34 PM EST
Former Campbell guard Trey Freeman has found a new program.
The junior-to-be will be taking his 14.3 points, 5.8 assists and 3.2 rebound-per-game averages from last season to Old Dominion next year, according to multiple reports.
The 6-2 native of Virginia Beach, Va. was the workhorse for the Fighting Camels the last two seasons, averaging 32 and 37.2 minutes per game and shooting 87.1 and 82.8 percent from the free throw line. He did all this while playing a majority of the season with a broken bone in his right foot.
Freeman was the 2011-12 Big South Conference Freshman of the Year, averaging 13.9 points and 3.8 assists two seasons ago.
Freeman expressed a desire to be closer to home when the transfer announcement was made. The Norfolk, Va. campus is 33 minutes from his hometown.
Campbell point guard Trey Campbell transferring to Old Dominion, according to reports. Really nice pickup. Very impressed with him.
— Jeff Borzello (@jeffborzello) June 3, 2013
It’s a bit of a lateral move for Freeman, who goes from a mediocre-at-best situation in terms of teams, to a team that fired it’s coach — Blaine Taylor — mid-season and replaced him with former American coach Jeff Jones, who is tasked with helping the Monarchs get off the floor after a 5-25 record in 2012-13. This season came just two removed from winning back-to-back Colonial Athletic Association tournament championships.
Campbell finished 13-20 last season, 7-9 in the Big South. As a result, coach Robbie Lang was fired.
The Monarchs make the jump to Conference USA beginning next season.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 6
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)