Jun 4, 2013, 4:30 PM EST
Memphis commit Kuran Iverson — Allen Iverson’s cousin — is becoming a known name in Big Blue Nation and for all the wrong reasons.
This past weekend at the 2013 Mary Kline Classic in Philadelphia, the 6-foot-8 small forward told SNY.tv that he said that he believes Kentucky’s highly-touted class is not the nation’s best.
“We can be great,” Iverson told SNY.tv. “Everybody talking about Kentucky hype, but there ain’t really gonna be no Kentucky hype. There’s gonna be some Memphis hype.”
If that answer wasn’t bold enough, when asked if he though Memphis’ 2013 class was better than Kentucky’s class, Iverson did anything but hold back.
“Yeah, way better. Way better. They talented, we work hard.”
In Iverson’s defense, what do you expect him to say when asked a question like that? And, if you continue to read past the recruiting class trash talk, Iverson goes on to show that he is a confident basketball player to say the least. The versatile small forward, who committed to Memphis in September, told SNY that he would’ve liked to play point guard next season if it wasn’t for Joe Jackson returning.
The Tigers do have a very impressive incoming class besides Iverson. Memphis adds five-star power forward Austin Nichols, along with guard RaShawn Powell and Markel Crawford, as well as forward Nick King and center Dominic Woodson, the former Baylor commit.
Those six players could be joining Memphis with former Missouri guard Michael Dixon who had reportedly committed to the Tigers on Tuesday morning.
But if you needed a refresher on who John Calipari is bringing in for next season, it includes six of the top 20 recruits according Rivals.com — Julius Randle, Andrew and Aaron Harrison, Dakari Johnson, James Young and Marcus Lee — along with a pair of three star commits, Derek Willis and Dominique Hawkins.
This is likely Josh Pastner’s best class and his star freshman forward may have just upped the expectations four months before the season even begins.
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)