Jun 4, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Memphis commit Kuran Iverson — Allen Iverson’s cousin — is becoming a known name in Big Blue Nation and for all the wrong reasons.
This past weekend at the 2013 Mary Kline Classic in Philadelphia, the 6-foot-8 small forward told SNY.tv that he said that he believes Kentucky’s highly-touted class is not the nation’s best.
“We can be great,” Iverson told SNY.tv. “Everybody talking about Kentucky hype, but there ain’t really gonna be no Kentucky hype. There’s gonna be some Memphis hype.”
If that answer wasn’t bold enough, when asked if he though Memphis’ 2013 class was better than Kentucky’s class, Iverson did anything but hold back.
“Yeah, way better. Way better. They talented, we work hard.”
In Iverson’s defense, what do you expect him to say when asked a question like that? And, if you continue to read past the recruiting class trash talk, Iverson goes on to show that he is a confident basketball player to say the least. The versatile small forward, who committed to Memphis in September, told SNY that he would’ve liked to play point guard next season if it wasn’t for Joe Jackson returning.
The Tigers do have a very impressive incoming class besides Iverson. Memphis adds five-star power forward Austin Nichols, along with guard RaShawn Powell and Markel Crawford, as well as forward Nick King and center Dominic Woodson, the former Baylor commit.
Those six players could be joining Memphis with former Missouri guard Michael Dixon who had reportedly committed to the Tigers on Tuesday morning.
But if you needed a refresher on who John Calipari is bringing in for next season, it includes six of the top 20 recruits according Rivals.com — Julius Randle, Andrew and Aaron Harrison, Dakari Johnson, James Young and Marcus Lee — along with a pair of three star commits, Derek Willis and Dominique Hawkins.
This is likely Josh Pastner’s best class and his star freshman forward may have just upped the expectations four months before the season even begins.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)