Jun 4, 2013, 10:56 PM EST
Early on Tuesday CBS Sports reported that a source confirmed that former Missouri guard Michael Dixon Jr. had committed to Memphis while he was on an official visit.
By 10 p.m. on Tuesday night, Jason King of ESPN was reporting that a commitment has not been made yet. Dixon had sent a text message to King that read:
“I have not committed to the University of Memphis”
Dixon will return to home to Kansas City and discuss his options with his family and his mentor L.J. Goolsby. Dixon took an official visit to East Carolina in May and also has interest from Colorado and Baylor.
“There’s no way he would’ve committed that quickly,” Dixon’s father, Michael Dixon Sr., told ESPN.com on Tuesday night. “He’ll be back tomorrow and we’ll sit down and go over the pros and cons.
“Hopefully, we’ll be able to decide on something in the next 48 hours. And if we don’t, we’ll be back to square one.”
Dixon was suspended and eventually kicked off the team this season by head coach Frank Haith. The senior guard had twice been accused of sexual assault, though, he was not charged in either incident. Dixon will apply for a waiver from the NCAA that will allow him to play right away when he chooses a school for next season. His family is hoping he can get granted a waiver similar to the one Maryland’s Dez Wells received following his exit from Xavier.
Dixon scored 13.5 points and dished out 3.3 assists per game for the Tigers in the 2011-2012 season.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)