Jun 4, 2013, 10:56 PM EDT
Early on Tuesday CBS Sports reported that a source confirmed that former Missouri guard Michael Dixon Jr. had committed to Memphis while he was on an official visit.
By 10 p.m. on Tuesday night, Jason King of ESPN was reporting that a commitment has not been made yet. Dixon had sent a text message to King that read:
“I have not committed to the University of Memphis”
Dixon will return to home to Kansas City and discuss his options with his family and his mentor L.J. Goolsby. Dixon took an official visit to East Carolina in May and also has interest from Colorado and Baylor.
“There’s no way he would’ve committed that quickly,” Dixon’s father, Michael Dixon Sr., told ESPN.com on Tuesday night. “He’ll be back tomorrow and we’ll sit down and go over the pros and cons.
“Hopefully, we’ll be able to decide on something in the next 48 hours. And if we don’t, we’ll be back to square one.”
Dixon was suspended and eventually kicked off the team this season by head coach Frank Haith. The senior guard had twice been accused of sexual assault, though, he was not charged in either incident. Dixon will apply for a waiver from the NCAA that will allow him to play right away when he chooses a school for next season. His family is hoping he can get granted a waiver similar to the one Maryland’s Dez Wells received following his exit from Xavier.
Dixon scored 13.5 points and dished out 3.3 assists per game for the Tigers in the 2011-2012 season.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 4
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)
- Indiana grabs commitment from prep school center (VIDEO) (6)
- Harrison twins awaiting feedback from NBA before deciding to return or declare (6)
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ (5)