Jun 4, 2013, 5:22 PM EST
Tuesday evening it was confirmed through WTOK-TV in Meridian, Miss. that Alabama freshman forward Devonta Pollard had been charged in connection of the kidnapping of Jashayla Hopson in Kemper County (Miss.).
Cecil Hurt of the Tuscaloosa News confirmed through the Kemper County Sheriff James Moore that Pollard will be facing a charge of conspiracy to commit kidnapping. Pollard was one of three arrested on Tuesday afternoon with the kidnapping along with Joyce and Shaquayla Johnigan.
According to Hurt, Pollard is now one of six individuals charged in the April 30 kidnapping, one of which is Pollard’s mother, Jesse Mae Pollard. Jesse Mae was arrested only days after the kidnapping took place; the same day as the other two defendants — Wanda Dancy and Shamarius Ruffin — were arrested.
From the complaint against Pollard’s mother, on April 30, Hopson was taken from East Kemper Elementary School in Scooba, Miss. around 12:05 p.m. Four hours later, Hopson’s mother received a text message that read:
“dont call the police I will call you later if you call the police u wont see her again.”
Law enforcement believe that Jesse Mae Pollard is the mastermind behind the kidnapping, following a dispute with the victim’s mother over land, WTOK reported. Hopson was found the next day after being dropped off on the side of the road in Enterprise, Miss. Authorities were contacted after the 6-year-old has appeared in front of one of the nearby houses. She was rushed to the hospital, but was unharmed.
Pollard appeared in 36 games for the Crimson Tide averaging 3.9 points and 3.1 rebounds per game as a freshman. The 6-foot-8 Pollard was a 2012 McDonald’s All American and was ranked No. 22 overall in the Class of 2012 by Rivals.com
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)