Jun 4, 2013, 5:22 PM EDT
Tuesday evening it was confirmed through WTOK-TV in Meridian, Miss. that Alabama freshman forward Devonta Pollard had been charged in connection of the kidnapping of Jashayla Hopson in Kemper County (Miss.).
Cecil Hurt of the Tuscaloosa News confirmed through the Kemper County Sheriff James Moore that Pollard will be facing a charge of conspiracy to commit kidnapping. Pollard was one of three arrested on Tuesday afternoon with the kidnapping along with Joyce and Shaquayla Johnigan.
According to Hurt, Pollard is now one of six individuals charged in the April 30 kidnapping, one of which is Pollard’s mother, Jesse Mae Pollard. Jesse Mae was arrested only days after the kidnapping took place; the same day as the other two defendants — Wanda Dancy and Shamarius Ruffin — were arrested.
From the complaint against Pollard’s mother, on April 30, Hopson was taken from East Kemper Elementary School in Scooba, Miss. around 12:05 p.m. Four hours later, Hopson’s mother received a text message that read:
“dont call the police I will call you later if you call the police u wont see her again.”
Law enforcement believe that Jesse Mae Pollard is the mastermind behind the kidnapping, following a dispute with the victim’s mother over land, WTOK reported. Hopson was found the next day after being dropped off on the side of the road in Enterprise, Miss. Authorities were contacted after the 6-year-old has appeared in front of one of the nearby houses. She was rushed to the hospital, but was unharmed.
Pollard appeared in 36 games for the Crimson Tide averaging 3.9 points and 3.1 rebounds per game as a freshman. The 6-foot-8 Pollard was a 2012 McDonald’s All American and was ranked No. 22 overall in the Class of 2012 by Rivals.com
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 0
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)