Jun 4, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Former Missouri guard Michael Dixon has found a landing spot at Memphis, according to a report from Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com.
Dixon averaged 13.5 points as a junior during the 2011-2012 season, but was suspended in October prior to the 2012-2013 season. Eventually, news came out that Dixon had twice been accused of sexual assault while on Missouri’s campus, once by a woman that worked in the athletic department when he was a freshman and again in the summer before his senior year.
Dixon was kicked off the team by head coach Frank Haith as a result of the accusations, but he was never charged with a crime.
The fact that he was never charged is one of the biggest reasons that Josh Pastner felt comfortable accepting a commitment from Dixon, according to Parrish.
Dixon will apply for a waiver that will allow him to play right away for the Tigers. He say out the entirety of last season, but since he was enrolled in school at the start of the fall semester, he could run into some legal red tape with the NCAA. I can’t imagine that they like giving out waivers to players that were suspended for multiple accusations of sexual assault, but it’s worth noting that Maryland’s Dez Wells got a waiver to play immediately after transferring out of Xavier under similar circumstances.
Dixon will join a back court that is already loaded for the Tigers, with Joe Jackson, Geron Johnson and Chris Crawford headlining it. Dixon is used to coming off the bench, as he was Missouri’s sixth-man in his last season with the Tigers.
(UPDATE: Maybe it’s not official yet?:
“Michael (Dixon) arrived at Memphis this morning for an official visit but has not committed,” source close to Dixon told ESPNcom
— Jason King (@JasonKingESPN) June 4, 2013
We’ll see how this plays out.)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)