Jun 5, 2013, 4:56 PM EDT
Tuesday it was reported that Alabama freshman forward Devonta Pollard was one of six people indicted in the kidnapping of 6-year old Jashayla Hopson, and on Wednesday details of the four-court indictment were released.
And the details are chilling to say the least.
The four-count indictment charging the seven defendants was released Wednesday by U.S. Attorney Gregory K. Davis, attorney for the Southern District of Mississippi. According to the document, Jessie Pollard spoke with school secretary Wanda Faye Dancy, 52, who told her that Jashayla was in the school library and what she was wearing. Pollard sent Shamarious Ruffin, 25, into the school, where she told the girl’s teacher that “Miss Wanda said it was all right” to take her, according to the indictment.
The indictment states that Devonta Pollard met with his mother and Ruffin in a church parking lot earlier that day. He delivered a screwdriver and wrench to them before Ruffin told him “we fixin’ to do some crazy s—,” the indictment states.
Devonta Pollard’s role in the kidnapping was that of a driver, as he transported Hopson to a hotel in Bessemer, Ala. From there, 21-year old Shaquayla Johnigan drove Hopson to a hotel in Laurel, Miss.
Hopson would ultimately be found unharmed the following day in Enterprise, Miss.
According to a report from the Associated Press the kidnapping occurred as a result of a land dispute between Jessie Pollard, Devonta’s mother, and the mother of Jashayla Hopson.
Devonta Pollard was one of six to be charged with conspiracy to commit kidnapping, and his bail was set at $10,000. Pollard, who was a McDonald’s All American before joining the Alabama program, faces up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine if convicted.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)