Jun 5, 2013, 8:48 PM EST
Forward Vincent Garrett was one of four players to announce his intention to transfer from Rutgers in the midst of the program’s tumultuous spring that included the firing of a head coach and the athletic director tendering his resignation.
On Tuesday it was announced that Garrett will transfer to Green Bay, with the school considering the possibility of applying for a hardship waiver that would make the 6-5 Garrett eligible immediately.
If the appeal is unsuccessful Garrett would have to sit out the 2013-14 season, using his one remaining season of eligibility in 2014-15. Garrett’s decision to transfer to Green Bay reunites the Chicago native with former high school teammates Keifer Sykes and Alfonzo McKinnie (Marshall HS).
“As soon as Keifer heard I was transferring he told Coach Wardle about me and when I visited Green Bay I really appreciated how honest and straight-forward coach was with me about everything,” Garrett said in a statement released by the school.
“I really like the team’s fast style of play and I can see myself fitting in great with the guys. I’m a very athletic guy who can run the floor and can score the ball well, but most of all I’m just looking to help my team win.”
Garrett played in just 12 games in his one season at Rutgers, posting averages of 1.5 points and 0.8 rebounds in four minutes of action per contest. Garrett’s best outing came in the Scarlet Knights’ second game of the season, when he scored six points and grabbed four rebounds (11 minutes) in an 88-62 victory over Sacred Heart.
Prior to joining the Rutgers program Garrett played two years at Lee Junior College in Texas. If eligible to play this season, Garrett will give the Phoenix another front court body to go along with the likes of McKinnie, second team All-Horizon League selection Alec Brown and Greg Mays.
Green Bay also has incoming freshmen Turner Botz and Kenneth Lowe joining the program this summer.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 4
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)