Jun 5, 2013, 12:14 PM EDT
Kentucky added another piece to their 2013 recruiting class, as EJ Floreal committed to the school.
Well, committed may not be the correct term here.
Floreal will be walking on. He’s the son of UK track coach Edrick Floreal. Floreal played out in California for three seasons before transferring to Dunbar HS in Lexington for his senior season. Floreal was a Division I recruit, as he had some interest from small schools out in California — Santa Clara, San Francisco, UC Davis — before he left. According to his Rivals page, Tennessee had shown some interest as well.
Kentucky fans love their walk-ons, possibly more than they do their star players. Jarrod Polson earned himself a free meal anywhere he goes in Kentucky with one memorable performance against Maryland in the season-opener.
The best part?
Floreal is known for his athleticism. He was a track and field star out in California. Kentucky is going to win a lot of games by a lot of points this season. Rupp Arena may not survive Floreal throwing down a dunk in garbage time.
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)
- Two new regular season college hoops events headed to Vegas (1)