Jun 5, 2013, 12:14 PM EDT
Kentucky added another piece to their 2013 recruiting class, as EJ Floreal committed to the school.
Well, committed may not be the correct term here.
Floreal will be walking on. He’s the son of UK track coach Edrick Floreal. Floreal played out in California for three seasons before transferring to Dunbar HS in Lexington for his senior season. Floreal was a Division I recruit, as he had some interest from small schools out in California — Santa Clara, San Francisco, UC Davis — before he left. According to his Rivals page, Tennessee had shown some interest as well.
Kentucky fans love their walk-ons, possibly more than they do their star players. Jarrod Polson earned himself a free meal anywhere he goes in Kentucky with one memorable performance against Maryland in the season-opener.
The best part?
Floreal is known for his athleticism. He was a track and field star out in California. Kentucky is going to win a lot of games by a lot of points this season. Rupp Arena may not survive Floreal throwing down a dunk in garbage time.
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)