Jun 5, 2013, 5:50 PM EST
Mike Kitts’ 31st season as a college basketball official will be his last in an on-court capacity, as the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference announced on Wednesday that he will be the league’s coordinator of men’s basketball officials beginning with the 2014-15 season.
Kitts will move into the role vacated by mentor Brad Tracy, who is retiring at the end of the 2013-14 season. Tracy has held the position since the 1990-91 season.
By his own count, Kitts has officiated in 19 NCAA Tournaments, including four national semifinal games in the Final Four. Kitts has worked in many of the country’s top conferences during his career, including the Big Ten, Big East, Big 12, Atlantic Coast Conference and Southeastern Conference, in addition to the MAAC.
Kitts has officiated the MAAC’s championship game in 14 of the last 15 tournaments, and in 2008, was the recipient of the Naismith Award, given annually to the nation’s top referee.
In a summer of transition for the remnants of the “original” Big East (or close to it), Kitts is the second official to make the move into an administrative role. John Cahill will be the coordinator of men’s basketball officials in the “new” Big East, which will officially be recognized by the NCAA on August 1 (the league goes into existence on July 1).
For the MAAC this is a good move, given Kitts’ overall experience and connections to the conference.
“We are pleased that Mike will be taking over as our Coordinator of Men’s Basketball Officials,” MAAC commissioner Richard Ensor said in the release.
“Mike has had an outstanding career as an official on the court, and is held in high esteem by so many in college basketball. To have someone with his knowledge and experience take over as our coordinator, we won’t skip a beat.”
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)