Jun 5, 2013, 5:50 PM EDT
Mike Kitts’ 31st season as a college basketball official will be his last in an on-court capacity, as the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference announced on Wednesday that he will be the league’s coordinator of men’s basketball officials beginning with the 2014-15 season.
Kitts will move into the role vacated by mentor Brad Tracy, who is retiring at the end of the 2013-14 season. Tracy has held the position since the 1990-91 season.
By his own count, Kitts has officiated in 19 NCAA Tournaments, including four national semifinal games in the Final Four. Kitts has worked in many of the country’s top conferences during his career, including the Big Ten, Big East, Big 12, Atlantic Coast Conference and Southeastern Conference, in addition to the MAAC.
Kitts has officiated the MAAC’s championship game in 14 of the last 15 tournaments, and in 2008, was the recipient of the Naismith Award, given annually to the nation’s top referee.
In a summer of transition for the remnants of the “original” Big East (or close to it), Kitts is the second official to make the move into an administrative role. John Cahill will be the coordinator of men’s basketball officials in the “new” Big East, which will officially be recognized by the NCAA on August 1 (the league goes into existence on July 1).
For the MAAC this is a good move, given Kitts’ overall experience and connections to the conference.
“We are pleased that Mike will be taking over as our Coordinator of Men’s Basketball Officials,” MAAC commissioner Richard Ensor said in the release.
“Mike has had an outstanding career as an official on the court, and is held in high esteem by so many in college basketball. To have someone with his knowledge and experience take over as our coordinator, we won’t skip a beat.”
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)