Jun 5, 2013, 7:23 PM EDT
In the immediate aftermath of 6-11 center Blaise Mbargorba deciding to transfer from SMU, many expected the Highstown, N.J. native to land at Seton Hall.
But recruiting, whether it’s for a transfer or a player still in high school, can be unpredictable. In a move that surprised many, it was reported Wednesday afternoon that Mbargorba will transfer to Boston University.
Due to preseason shoulder surgery Mbargorba was redshirted at SMU last season. As a senior at The Peddie School, Mbargorba averaged 15 points, 11 rebounds and four blocked shots per game. With the Terriers, who enter the Patriot League this summer, not having a great deal of size on the roster Mbargorba has the potential to help them in 2014-15.
Of BU’s returning front court players rising senior forward Dom Morris was the most productive last season, as he averaged 11.6 points and a team-best 6.3 rebounds per game.
Nathan Dieudonne (4.5 ppg, 3.4 rpg) played just over 17 minutes per game as a freshman, and both James Kennedy (1.0, 1.0) and Justin Alston (1.4, 1.1) saw limited playing time in 2012-13.
Currently Boston University has just one front court signee: 7-foot center Dylan Haines, who averaged 15 points and seven rebounds per contest at St. Thomas More last year.
As for Seton Hall, their pursuit for added size won’t stop as head coach Kevin Willard and his staff are in pursuit of 6-11 big man Billy Magarity.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)