Jun 5, 2013, 1:44 PM EDT
The Jimmy V Classic has been announced, and it sets us up with a pair of entertaining matchups.
Cincinnati and Pitt will square in a battle of former Big East rivals. Pitt left the Big East, along with Syracuse and Notre Dame, and made their way down into the ACC. The Bearcats are one of three teams from the old Big East — along with UConn and South Florida — that have been relegated to the AAC for the foreseeable future.
The headliner will pit Florida and Memphis. Florida will have one of the best front lines in the country in 2013-2014, even if Chris Walker is unable to get eligible. Their questions will be in the back court, as Billy Donovan will be relying on talented youngsters and some unproven veterans. The Tigers, on the other hand, are loaded in the back court even if Michael Dixon never makes it to campus, but they will be quite youthful along their front like with Tarik Black leaving the program.
Memphis, ironically enough, will once again be in the same conference as Cincinnati.
The event will take place later in December — the 17th of that month —than we’re accustomed to.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (3)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)