Jun 6, 2013, 11:16 AM EST
Georgetown made a splash in the coaching world on Wednesday as John Thompson III went out and completed his staff by hiring Northwestern’s Tavaras Hardy and George Washington’s Kevin Sutton.
Hardy is a Joliet, IL, native, played for the Wildcats from 1998-2002 and has been on staff for the past eight years. He coached AAU ball with the Illinois Defenders when he first graduated and has ties all over the city of Chicago. He’s known for his ability to recruit, playing a major role in Northwestern landing John Shurna, Drew Crawford and JerShon Cobb.
Case in point: at 4:42 p.m. ET, Jeff Goodman broke the news that Hardy would be taking the job at Georgetown. At 5:15 p.m. ET, Paul White, a top 60 recruit from Whitney Young HS in Chicago, tweeted that he had received a scholarship offer from Georgetown. Coincidence?
Sutton got his start at the high school level, having worked his way up from the JV level in Michigan all the way to head coaching jobs at Montrose Christian and Bishop McNamara, two powerhouse hoops programs on the I-95 corridor in Maryland, before spending eight years as the head coach at Montverde Academy.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)