Jun 6, 2013, 11:16 AM EDT
Georgetown made a splash in the coaching world on Wednesday as John Thompson III went out and completed his staff by hiring Northwestern’s Tavaras Hardy and George Washington’s Kevin Sutton.
Hardy is a Joliet, IL, native, played for the Wildcats from 1998-2002 and has been on staff for the past eight years. He coached AAU ball with the Illinois Defenders when he first graduated and has ties all over the city of Chicago. He’s known for his ability to recruit, playing a major role in Northwestern landing John Shurna, Drew Crawford and JerShon Cobb.
Case in point: at 4:42 p.m. ET, Jeff Goodman broke the news that Hardy would be taking the job at Georgetown. At 5:15 p.m. ET, Paul White, a top 60 recruit from Whitney Young HS in Chicago, tweeted that he had received a scholarship offer from Georgetown. Coincidence?
Sutton got his start at the high school level, having worked his way up from the JV level in Michigan all the way to head coaching jobs at Montrose Christian and Bishop McNamara, two powerhouse hoops programs on the I-95 corridor in Maryland, before spending eight years as the head coach at Montverde Academy.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)