Jun 6, 2013, 11:16 AM EST
Georgetown made a splash in the coaching world on Wednesday as John Thompson III went out and completed his staff by hiring Northwestern’s Tavaras Hardy and George Washington’s Kevin Sutton.
Hardy is a Joliet, IL, native, played for the Wildcats from 1998-2002 and has been on staff for the past eight years. He coached AAU ball with the Illinois Defenders when he first graduated and has ties all over the city of Chicago. He’s known for his ability to recruit, playing a major role in Northwestern landing John Shurna, Drew Crawford and JerShon Cobb.
Case in point: at 4:42 p.m. ET, Jeff Goodman broke the news that Hardy would be taking the job at Georgetown. At 5:15 p.m. ET, Paul White, a top 60 recruit from Whitney Young HS in Chicago, tweeted that he had received a scholarship offer from Georgetown. Coincidence?
Sutton got his start at the high school level, having worked his way up from the JV level in Michigan all the way to head coaching jobs at Montrose Christian and Bishop McNamara, two powerhouse hoops programs on the I-95 corridor in Maryland, before spending eight years as the head coach at Montverde Academy.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 17
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (17)
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Can the ACC produce four Final Four teams? (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Report: Kansas transfer Conner Frankamp considering Colorado, Wichita State (3)