Jun 6, 2013, 11:16 AM EDT
Georgetown made a splash in the coaching world on Wednesday as John Thompson III went out and completed his staff by hiring Northwestern’s Tavaras Hardy and George Washington’s Kevin Sutton.
Hardy is a Joliet, IL, native, played for the Wildcats from 1998-2002 and has been on staff for the past eight years. He coached AAU ball with the Illinois Defenders when he first graduated and has ties all over the city of Chicago. He’s known for his ability to recruit, playing a major role in Northwestern landing John Shurna, Drew Crawford and JerShon Cobb.
Case in point: at 4:42 p.m. ET, Jeff Goodman broke the news that Hardy would be taking the job at Georgetown. At 5:15 p.m. ET, Paul White, a top 60 recruit from Whitney Young HS in Chicago, tweeted that he had received a scholarship offer from Georgetown. Coincidence?
Sutton got his start at the high school level, having worked his way up from the JV level in Michigan all the way to head coaching jobs at Montrose Christian and Bishop McNamara, two powerhouse hoops programs on the I-95 corridor in Maryland, before spending eight years as the head coach at Montverde Academy.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)