Jun 6, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
At Hargrave Military Academy this winter 6-10 forward Neville Fincher averaged 12 points and eight rebounds per contest, and the New Jersey native had the talent needed to help out Kansas State in 2013-14.
Unfortunately for both Fincher and head coach Bruce Weber, he has not qualified academically and therefore will not attend Kansas State in the fall.
According to a story by Ken Corbitt of the Topeka Capital-Journal, it’s likely that Fincher will attend junior college in 2013-14.
“At this point it does not look like Neville is going to meet NCAA qualifications and he probably will pursue going to a community college,” Weber said. “We are going to continue to watch him and recruit him and hope someday that we’ll be able to recruit him again.”
Fincher’s academic issues leave Kansas State with four incoming freshmen, with three being guards. Point guards Nigel Johnson and Jevon Thomas and shooting guard Marcus Foster will look to crack a rotation currently anchored by Will Spradling and Omari Lawrence.
While Spradling averaged more than 27 minutes per game as a junior, Lawrence (who began his career at St. John’s) played just 8.5 minutes per game in 2012-13. Unfortunately for Kansas State, Maine transfer Justin Edwards (16.7 ppg, 5.2 rpg in 2012-13) has to sit out the 2013-14 season per NCAA transfer rules.
In the front court the lone incoming freshman is 6-7 wing Wesley Iwundu, but Kansas State does have experience at the forward spots with Thomas Gipson and Shane Southwell back in Manhattan. Also of note is the addition of Georgetown transfer Brandon Bolden, who like Edwards has to sit out the 2013-14 season.
According to Rivals.com Kansas State offered 6-11 center Nkosi Ali earlier this week, with the program’s pursuit of Ali becoming more important due to Fincher’s ineligibility.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)