Jun 6, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
At Hargrave Military Academy this winter 6-10 forward Neville Fincher averaged 12 points and eight rebounds per contest, and the New Jersey native had the talent needed to help out Kansas State in 2013-14.
Unfortunately for both Fincher and head coach Bruce Weber, he has not qualified academically and therefore will not attend Kansas State in the fall.
According to a story by Ken Corbitt of the Topeka Capital-Journal, it’s likely that Fincher will attend junior college in 2013-14.
“At this point it does not look like Neville is going to meet NCAA qualifications and he probably will pursue going to a community college,” Weber said. “We are going to continue to watch him and recruit him and hope someday that we’ll be able to recruit him again.”
Fincher’s academic issues leave Kansas State with four incoming freshmen, with three being guards. Point guards Nigel Johnson and Jevon Thomas and shooting guard Marcus Foster will look to crack a rotation currently anchored by Will Spradling and Omari Lawrence.
While Spradling averaged more than 27 minutes per game as a junior, Lawrence (who began his career at St. John’s) played just 8.5 minutes per game in 2012-13. Unfortunately for Kansas State, Maine transfer Justin Edwards (16.7 ppg, 5.2 rpg in 2012-13) has to sit out the 2013-14 season per NCAA transfer rules.
In the front court the lone incoming freshman is 6-7 wing Wesley Iwundu, but Kansas State does have experience at the forward spots with Thomas Gipson and Shane Southwell back in Manhattan. Also of note is the addition of Georgetown transfer Brandon Bolden, who like Edwards has to sit out the 2013-14 season.
According to Rivals.com Kansas State offered 6-11 center Nkosi Ali earlier this week, with the program’s pursuit of Ali becoming more important due to Fincher’s ineligibility.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)