Jun 6, 2013, 9:50 AM EST
For a while now, it has been speculated that Memphis was the favorite to host the American Athletic Conference tournament next season.
American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco visited FedExForum on Wednesday and will, barring a major change of plans, announce “sooner rather than later” that his league’s first men’s basketball tournament will be played in Memphis’ downtown arena, a source told CBSSports.com.
It’s a location that does make sense. FedExForum is an NBA arena, the fan base in Memphis is passionate about their hoops, and in a league that includes teams from Florida, Texas, Connecticut and Cincinnati, Memphis is fairly centrally located.
Oh, and there’s Beale Street.
And who doesn’t love Beale Street?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)