Jun 6, 2013, 9:50 AM EST
For a while now, it has been speculated that Memphis was the favorite to host the American Athletic Conference tournament next season.
American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco visited FedExForum on Wednesday and will, barring a major change of plans, announce “sooner rather than later” that his league’s first men’s basketball tournament will be played in Memphis’ downtown arena, a source told CBSSports.com.
It’s a location that does make sense. FedExForum is an NBA arena, the fan base in Memphis is passionate about their hoops, and in a league that includes teams from Florida, Texas, Connecticut and Cincinnati, Memphis is fairly centrally located.
Oh, and there’s Beale Street.
And who doesn’t love Beale Street?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Weekend Preview: Iowa-Iowa State highlights a rivalry-heavy weekend slate 5
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Teams 1
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 2
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Weekend Preview: Iowa-Iowa State highlights a rivalry-heavy weekend slate (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Why is Kentucky’s attendance going down? UK writer says Rupp is ‘stale’ (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Late Night Snacks: Rhode Island rivalry and VCU’s overtime (2)