Jun 6, 2013, 9:50 AM EDT
For a while now, it has been speculated that Memphis was the favorite to host the American Athletic Conference tournament next season.
American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco visited FedExForum on Wednesday and will, barring a major change of plans, announce “sooner rather than later” that his league’s first men’s basketball tournament will be played in Memphis’ downtown arena, a source told CBSSports.com.
It’s a location that does make sense. FedExForum is an NBA arena, the fan base in Memphis is passionate about their hoops, and in a league that includes teams from Florida, Texas, Connecticut and Cincinnati, Memphis is fairly centrally located.
Oh, and there’s Beale Street.
And who doesn’t love Beale Street?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)