Jun 6, 2013, 9:50 AM EDT
For a while now, it has been speculated that Memphis was the favorite to host the American Athletic Conference tournament next season.
American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco visited FedExForum on Wednesday and will, barring a major change of plans, announce “sooner rather than later” that his league’s first men’s basketball tournament will be played in Memphis’ downtown arena, a source told CBSSports.com.
It’s a location that does make sense. FedExForum is an NBA arena, the fan base in Memphis is passionate about their hoops, and in a league that includes teams from Florida, Texas, Connecticut and Cincinnati, Memphis is fairly centrally located.
Oh, and there’s Beale Street.
And who doesn’t love Beale Street?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)