Jun 6, 2013, 9:50 AM EDT
For a while now, it has been speculated that Memphis was the favorite to host the American Athletic Conference tournament next season.
American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco visited FedExForum on Wednesday and will, barring a major change of plans, announce “sooner rather than later” that his league’s first men’s basketball tournament will be played in Memphis’ downtown arena, a source told CBSSports.com.
It’s a location that does make sense. FedExForum is an NBA arena, the fan base in Memphis is passionate about their hoops, and in a league that includes teams from Florida, Texas, Connecticut and Cincinnati, Memphis is fairly centrally located.
Oh, and there’s Beale Street.
And who doesn’t love Beale Street?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)