Jun 6, 2013, 12:21 PM EST
North Carolina’s leading scorer PJ Hairston was arrested on Wednesday night and charged with possession of marijuana and driving without a license.
Hairston was stopped at a license checkpoint in a car with two other men. He was stopped near downtown Durham, according to the report, just about a mile from Duke’s campus.
Hairston is currently out on bond.
“We are aware of the situation involving one of our athletes,” UNC Senior Associate Athletic Director for Communications Steve Kirschner told ABC 11. “We are still gathering information and may comment further later.”
Hairston averaged 14.6 points last season. He is a key piece to a North Carolina team that is not going to be all that deep on the perimeter next season. The Tar Heels are 11th in our Preseason Top 25.
It will be interesting to see what comes out of this. If Hairston was only caught with a small amount of weed — i.e. he’s not selling it, he simply enjoys the occasional joint — than I don’t think this is all that big of a deal. The fact that college kids smoke weed isn’t exactly a groundbreaking discovery. I wouldn’t have an issue with a suspension, but nothing more than a game or two, something that drives home the point that driving around with pot on you while your license is suspended is a really stupid thing to do, especially when you’re a North Carolina player in Durham.
Hairston is a native of Greensboro, NC.
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 1
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 4
- Senior starters once again carry No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing most important part: His One Shining Moment 0
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 0
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)