Jun 6, 2013, 4:52 PM EST
With associate head coach Brad Underwood’s hiring as head coach at Stephen F. Austin, South Carolina head coach Frank Martin was left with a vacancy to fill on his coaching staff.
Coach Martin has found an experienced replacement for Underwood, as the school announced Thursday that Perry Clark will fill the vacancy. Clark, whose last job was as head coach at Texas A&M Corpus Christi, has more than 30 years of coaching experience at the collegiate level.
Fifteen of those years were spent as a head coach at Tulane, Miami and Texas A&M Corpus Christi, with Clark’s teams winning 20 games or more seven times and making nine postseason appearances.
Obviously Coach Martin has ample head coaching experience, but it never hurts to have a coach on staff who has plenty of seasoning himself.
“We are extremely excited about adding Coach Clark to our staff with the experience and the unbelievable story of success that continues to follow him,” Martin said in the release. “He is someone who understands the land of recruiting as well as anyone in the country.
“His experience with preparing teams that have been ranked in the top 10 in the country and to play in the ACC and the Metro Conference is something that will serve our players and coaches in tremendous ways.”
The Gamecocks welcome eight newcomers this summer, with incoming freshmen Sindarius Thornwell and Demetrius Henry being two of the highly regarded arrivals. In Martin’s first season at South Carolina the Gamecocks finished 14-18, going just 4-14 in SEC play.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 2
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 1
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 5 Oklahoma State’s win over Purdue exemplifies issues with new foul rules (3)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)