Jun 6, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
With associate head coach Brad Underwood’s hiring as head coach at Stephen F. Austin, South Carolina head coach Frank Martin was left with a vacancy to fill on his coaching staff.
Coach Martin has found an experienced replacement for Underwood, as the school announced Thursday that Perry Clark will fill the vacancy. Clark, whose last job was as head coach at Texas A&M Corpus Christi, has more than 30 years of coaching experience at the collegiate level.
Fifteen of those years were spent as a head coach at Tulane, Miami and Texas A&M Corpus Christi, with Clark’s teams winning 20 games or more seven times and making nine postseason appearances.
Obviously Coach Martin has ample head coaching experience, but it never hurts to have a coach on staff who has plenty of seasoning himself.
“We are extremely excited about adding Coach Clark to our staff with the experience and the unbelievable story of success that continues to follow him,” Martin said in the release. “He is someone who understands the land of recruiting as well as anyone in the country.
“His experience with preparing teams that have been ranked in the top 10 in the country and to play in the ACC and the Metro Conference is something that will serve our players and coaches in tremendous ways.”
The Gamecocks welcome eight newcomers this summer, with incoming freshmen Sindarius Thornwell and Demetrius Henry being two of the highly regarded arrivals. In Martin’s first season at South Carolina the Gamecocks finished 14-18, going just 4-14 in SEC play.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)