Jun 6, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
With associate head coach Brad Underwood’s hiring as head coach at Stephen F. Austin, South Carolina head coach Frank Martin was left with a vacancy to fill on his coaching staff.
Coach Martin has found an experienced replacement for Underwood, as the school announced Thursday that Perry Clark will fill the vacancy. Clark, whose last job was as head coach at Texas A&M Corpus Christi, has more than 30 years of coaching experience at the collegiate level.
Fifteen of those years were spent as a head coach at Tulane, Miami and Texas A&M Corpus Christi, with Clark’s teams winning 20 games or more seven times and making nine postseason appearances.
Obviously Coach Martin has ample head coaching experience, but it never hurts to have a coach on staff who has plenty of seasoning himself.
“We are extremely excited about adding Coach Clark to our staff with the experience and the unbelievable story of success that continues to follow him,” Martin said in the release. “He is someone who understands the land of recruiting as well as anyone in the country.
“His experience with preparing teams that have been ranked in the top 10 in the country and to play in the ACC and the Metro Conference is something that will serve our players and coaches in tremendous ways.”
The Gamecocks welcome eight newcomers this summer, with incoming freshmen Sindarius Thornwell and Demetrius Henry being two of the highly regarded arrivals. In Martin’s first season at South Carolina the Gamecocks finished 14-18, going just 4-14 in SEC play.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 3
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)