Jun 6, 2013, 4:52 PM EST
With associate head coach Brad Underwood’s hiring as head coach at Stephen F. Austin, South Carolina head coach Frank Martin was left with a vacancy to fill on his coaching staff.
Coach Martin has found an experienced replacement for Underwood, as the school announced Thursday that Perry Clark will fill the vacancy. Clark, whose last job was as head coach at Texas A&M Corpus Christi, has more than 30 years of coaching experience at the collegiate level.
Fifteen of those years were spent as a head coach at Tulane, Miami and Texas A&M Corpus Christi, with Clark’s teams winning 20 games or more seven times and making nine postseason appearances.
Obviously Coach Martin has ample head coaching experience, but it never hurts to have a coach on staff who has plenty of seasoning himself.
“We are extremely excited about adding Coach Clark to our staff with the experience and the unbelievable story of success that continues to follow him,” Martin said in the release. “He is someone who understands the land of recruiting as well as anyone in the country.
“His experience with preparing teams that have been ranked in the top 10 in the country and to play in the ACC and the Metro Conference is something that will serve our players and coaches in tremendous ways.”
The Gamecocks welcome eight newcomers this summer, with incoming freshmen Sindarius Thornwell and Demetrius Henry being two of the highly regarded arrivals. In Martin’s first season at South Carolina the Gamecocks finished 14-18, going just 4-14 in SEC play.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 1
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 4
- Senior starters once again carry No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing most important part: His One Shining Moment 0
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 0
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)