Jun 6, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
With associate head coach Brad Underwood’s hiring as head coach at Stephen F. Austin, South Carolina head coach Frank Martin was left with a vacancy to fill on his coaching staff.
Coach Martin has found an experienced replacement for Underwood, as the school announced Thursday that Perry Clark will fill the vacancy. Clark, whose last job was as head coach at Texas A&M Corpus Christi, has more than 30 years of coaching experience at the collegiate level.
Fifteen of those years were spent as a head coach at Tulane, Miami and Texas A&M Corpus Christi, with Clark’s teams winning 20 games or more seven times and making nine postseason appearances.
Obviously Coach Martin has ample head coaching experience, but it never hurts to have a coach on staff who has plenty of seasoning himself.
“We are extremely excited about adding Coach Clark to our staff with the experience and the unbelievable story of success that continues to follow him,” Martin said in the release. “He is someone who understands the land of recruiting as well as anyone in the country.
“His experience with preparing teams that have been ranked in the top 10 in the country and to play in the ACC and the Metro Conference is something that will serve our players and coaches in tremendous ways.”
The Gamecocks welcome eight newcomers this summer, with incoming freshmen Sindarius Thornwell and Demetrius Henry being two of the highly regarded arrivals. In Martin’s first season at South Carolina the Gamecocks finished 14-18, going just 4-14 in SEC play.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)