Jun 6, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
With the addition of T.J. Otzelberger and the return of Raphael Chillious, Washington head coach Lorenzo Romar had some reshuffling to do in order to finalize his coaching staff for the upcoming season.
According to Percy Allen of the Seattle Times, assistants Jim Shaw and Paul Fortier will pursue other opportunities. The moves represent the greatest amount of turnover on Romar’s staff in his 11 years as head coach at his alma mater.
Shaw spent nine seasons on Romar’s staff while Fortier was an assistant for seven before moving into the role of director of player personnel and player development. Their contracts were not renewed after expiring on March 31.
Shaw leaves after nine years at UW during which he was responsible for recruiting and scheduling. He’s expected to pursue another college coaching job.
“Jim was a big part of our success,” Washington coach Lorenzo Romar said in a statement. “He was instrumental in recruiting and coaching during some of our best years ever of Husky basketball. I wish him the best.”
Fortier, an all-Pac-10 forward with UW in 1986, spent eight seasons with the Huskies. For the first seven, his duties included recruiting and working with the big men. Last season he took on a new title as director of player personnel and player development.
Otzelberger and Chillious join the lone holdover from last year’s staff, Brad Jackson, as assistants with Otzelberger being the program’s recruiting coordinator. Chillious will work with the guards and Jackson will tutor the big men, according to Allen’s report.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)