Jun 6, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
With the addition of T.J. Otzelberger and the return of Raphael Chillious, Washington head coach Lorenzo Romar had some reshuffling to do in order to finalize his coaching staff for the upcoming season.
According to Percy Allen of the Seattle Times, assistants Jim Shaw and Paul Fortier will pursue other opportunities. The moves represent the greatest amount of turnover on Romar’s staff in his 11 years as head coach at his alma mater.
Shaw spent nine seasons on Romar’s staff while Fortier was an assistant for seven before moving into the role of director of player personnel and player development. Their contracts were not renewed after expiring on March 31.
Shaw leaves after nine years at UW during which he was responsible for recruiting and scheduling. He’s expected to pursue another college coaching job.
“Jim was a big part of our success,” Washington coach Lorenzo Romar said in a statement. “He was instrumental in recruiting and coaching during some of our best years ever of Husky basketball. I wish him the best.”
Fortier, an all-Pac-10 forward with UW in 1986, spent eight seasons with the Huskies. For the first seven, his duties included recruiting and working with the big men. Last season he took on a new title as director of player personnel and player development.
Otzelberger and Chillious join the lone holdover from last year’s staff, Brad Jackson, as assistants with Otzelberger being the program’s recruiting coordinator. Chillious will work with the guards and Jackson will tutor the big men, according to Allen’s report.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)