Jun 7, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Maurice Creek arrived at Indiana University as a highly-regarded prospect, one that many believed would help the then-languishing Hoosiers make the climb back to the top of the Big Ten.
Unfortunately injuries derailed a promising career in Bloomington, with Creek missing all or part of three different seasons before playing in 24 games in 2012-13.
At the end of the season, in which Indiana won the Big Ten regular season title and reached the Sweet 16, Creek made the decision to transfer after earning his degree.
According to Ben Standig of CSN Washington, Creek has decided transfer to George Washington. Since he’s a graduate, Creek will be eligible immediately for the Colonials.
“With GW, I needed them and they needed me,” Creek told Standig. “That’s what it’s all about. When you go somewhere, you want to go somewhere where you’re needed. You don’t want to go somewhere where you’re just wanted…From the first day, I just felt like , ‘man, this could be a great spot.'”
Creek played just 7.8 minutes per game last season, averaging 1.8 points and 0.9 rebounds for the Hoosiers. But with the Colonials losing senior Lasan Kromah (transferred to UConn) and Bryan Bynes from the backcourt, head coach Mike Lonergan can use some added experience.
Creek will help in that department, and if healthy he’ll prove to be a valuable piece for George Washington.
Rising sophomores Patricio Garino (8.8 ppg), Joe McDonald (7.5 ppg) and Kethan Savage (3.1 ppg) are the lone returnees on the perimeter for George Washington, with incoming freshmen Miguel Cartagena and Nick Griffin set to join the program.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)