Jun 7, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Maurice Creek arrived at Indiana University as a highly-regarded prospect, one that many believed would help the then-languishing Hoosiers make the climb back to the top of the Big Ten.
Unfortunately injuries derailed a promising career in Bloomington, with Creek missing all or part of three different seasons before playing in 24 games in 2012-13.
At the end of the season, in which Indiana won the Big Ten regular season title and reached the Sweet 16, Creek made the decision to transfer after earning his degree.
According to Ben Standig of CSN Washington, Creek has decided transfer to George Washington. Since he’s a graduate, Creek will be eligible immediately for the Colonials.
“With GW, I needed them and they needed me,” Creek told Standig. “That’s what it’s all about. When you go somewhere, you want to go somewhere where you’re needed. You don’t want to go somewhere where you’re just wanted…From the first day, I just felt like , ‘man, this could be a great spot.'”
Creek played just 7.8 minutes per game last season, averaging 1.8 points and 0.9 rebounds for the Hoosiers. But with the Colonials losing senior Lasan Kromah (transferred to UConn) and Bryan Bynes from the backcourt, head coach Mike Lonergan can use some added experience.
Creek will help in that department, and if healthy he’ll prove to be a valuable piece for George Washington.
Rising sophomores Patricio Garino (8.8 ppg), Joe McDonald (7.5 ppg) and Kethan Savage (3.1 ppg) are the lone returnees on the perimeter for George Washington, with incoming freshmen Miguel Cartagena and Nick Griffin set to join the program.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)