Jun 7, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
On Wednesday night North Carolina junior guard P.J. Hairston was arrested on charges of possession of marijuana and driving without a license.
According to a report from WTVD in Durham, Durham Police found a gun outside of the rental car that Hairston was driving at the time of his being stopped at a license checkpoint.
There were two passengers in the car with Hairston, meaning that the firearm could have belonged to any of the three suspects.
Among the items found during the arrest were a Star 9mm handgun, a magazine with nine rounds of ammunition and 43 grams of marijuana. No charges have been filed in regards to the handgun, as the police are conducting forensics testing to determine possession.
Where this case ultimately ends up will more than likely depend on what police discover in regards to who the gun belongs to and whether or not the firearm is registered.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (3)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)