Jun 7, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
On Wednesday night North Carolina junior guard P.J. Hairston was arrested on charges of possession of marijuana and driving without a license.
According to a report from WTVD in Durham, Durham Police found a gun outside of the rental car that Hairston was driving at the time of his being stopped at a license checkpoint.
There were two passengers in the car with Hairston, meaning that the firearm could have belonged to any of the three suspects.
Among the items found during the arrest were a Star 9mm handgun, a magazine with nine rounds of ammunition and 43 grams of marijuana. No charges have been filed in regards to the handgun, as the police are conducting forensics testing to determine possession.
Where this case ultimately ends up will more than likely depend on what police discover in regards to who the gun belongs to and whether or not the firearm is registered.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 0
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 6
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 11
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Kentucky moves SEC above .500 (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)