Jun 7, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT
Ohio State has landed a fourth commitment in the 2014 class, as 6-4 guard D’Angelo Russell has verbally committed to attend the school according to multiple reports.
Rated among the best players in the 2014 class, the southpaw from Louisville (he attends Monteverde Academy in Florida) has the skill needed to play anywhere on the perimeter. His versatility will serve the Buckeyes well upon his arrival in Columbus in 2014.
Russell joins forwards Jae’Sean Tate and Keita Bates-Diop and 6-10 center David Bell as 2014 prospects who have committed to Thad Matta’s program. Russell’s decision is a key one for Ohio State, which loses both Aaron Craft and Lenzelle Smith Jr. at the end of the 2013-14 season.
Players due to return in 2014 are point guard Shannon Scott and shooting guards Amadeo Della Valle and Kameron Williams. Scott played more than 20 minutes per game last season, posting averages of 4.9 points and 3.8 assists per contest.
Della Valle played in just 15 games last season, while incoming freshman Williams was a highly-regarded player during his time at Mount Saint Joseph in Baltimore.
Below are some highlights from Russell’s junior season.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)