Jun 7, 2013, 8:25 PM EST
Ohio State has landed a fourth commitment in the 2014 class, as 6-4 guard D’Angelo Russell has verbally committed to attend the school according to multiple reports.
Rated among the best players in the 2014 class, the southpaw from Louisville (he attends Monteverde Academy in Florida) has the skill needed to play anywhere on the perimeter. His versatility will serve the Buckeyes well upon his arrival in Columbus in 2014.
Russell joins forwards Jae’Sean Tate and Keita Bates-Diop and 6-10 center David Bell as 2014 prospects who have committed to Thad Matta’s program. Russell’s decision is a key one for Ohio State, which loses both Aaron Craft and Lenzelle Smith Jr. at the end of the 2013-14 season.
Players due to return in 2014 are point guard Shannon Scott and shooting guards Amadeo Della Valle and Kameron Williams. Scott played more than 20 minutes per game last season, posting averages of 4.9 points and 3.8 assists per contest.
Della Valle played in just 15 games last season, while incoming freshman Williams was a highly-regarded player during his time at Mount Saint Joseph in Baltimore.
Below are some highlights from Russell’s junior season.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 0
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)