Jun 7, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
Korey McCray’s work over the years with the Atlanta Celtics proved to be a key reason why former UCLA head coach Ben Howland added him to his coaching staff a couple years ago.
Thanks to McCray’s connections the Bruins would land Jordan Adams and Tony Parker, one half of what was considered by many to be one of the best recruiting classes in the country entering the 2012-13 season.
But that recruiting success didn’t fully translate to the basketball court, ultimately leading to the firing of Howland and the hiring of Steve Alford. And with McCray available, LSU head coach Johnny Jones will reportedly add him to the LSU coaching staff as first reported by Neal Nieves of Bruin Sports Report.
McCray moves into the position vacated by Robert Kirby, who left LSU to join Josh Pastner’s staff at Memphis. According to a report by Jim Kleinpeter of the New Orleans Times-Picayune the open position was previously offered to Texas A&M assistat Glynn Cyprien, who turned it down.
McCray has strong connections in the states that LSU has to recruit in as a member of the SEC, and he has a strong relationship with one of the best power forwards in the 2014 class in Craig Victor.
Victor, who is a New Orleans native, is one of the most highly sought-after prospects in the class and LSU is a possibility. If the hiring of McCray bolsters the Tigers’ chances of landing Victor, the rebuilding project at LSU becomes even more manageable.
LSU already has two of the top big men in the 2013 class joining the program in Jarell Martin and Jordan Mickey, and with Johnny O’Bryant III returning to school the Bayou Bengals can be an NCAA tournament team next season.
And further strengthening their recruiting connections will help LSU build on the momentum that can be gained with a successful 2013-14 campaign.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 3
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? 11
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Former Duke guard speaks publicly for first time since dismissal from team (5)