Jun 8, 2013, 7:19 PM EDT
I’ve always been a big fan of Philadelphia’s commitment to the Big 5 round-robin. I’d like to see more cities do the same: get local DI programs together for a royal rumble.
Looks like the city of Boston is taking the first step toward something similar. The Daily Free Press is reporting that six teams from the hoops-mad city will meet at the TD Garden next season. On November 11, 2013, the arena will welcome Harvard, Northeastern, UMass, Boston University, Boston College and Holy Cross to participate in a triple-header that should thrill fans in the Commonwealth.
According to the Free Press report, the BU/Northeastern game has special significance.
In an effort to keep their season-opening rivalry going, the Terriers will face Northeastern University. BU coach Joe Jones and the rest of the Terriers will look to exact some revenge against the Huskies who defeated the Terriers on a last-second 3-point buzzer beater. The loss was the first of a five-game losing streak to open up the season.
As realignment ravages old rivalries, wouldn’t it be nice to see the re-emergence of some regional grudge matches? Imagine if cities like New York, Chicago, Dallas, L.A. and Washington, D.C. followed suit. Now that games on aircraft carriers and battleships seem to be out of vogue, these city-pride donnybrooks could be the next big thing.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)