Jun 8, 2013, 7:19 PM EST
I’ve always been a big fan of Philadelphia’s commitment to the Big 5 round-robin. I’d like to see more cities do the same: get local DI programs together for a royal rumble.
Looks like the city of Boston is taking the first step toward something similar. The Daily Free Press is reporting that six teams from the hoops-mad city will meet at the TD Garden next season. On November 11, 2013, the arena will welcome Harvard, Northeastern, UMass, Boston University, Boston College and Holy Cross to participate in a triple-header that should thrill fans in the Commonwealth.
According to the Free Press report, the BU/Northeastern game has special significance.
In an effort to keep their season-opening rivalry going, the Terriers will face Northeastern University. BU coach Joe Jones and the rest of the Terriers will look to exact some revenge against the Huskies who defeated the Terriers on a last-second 3-point buzzer beater. The loss was the first of a five-game losing streak to open up the season.
As realignment ravages old rivalries, wouldn’t it be nice to see the re-emergence of some regional grudge matches? Imagine if cities like New York, Chicago, Dallas, L.A. and Washington, D.C. followed suit. Now that games on aircraft carriers and battleships seem to be out of vogue, these city-pride donnybrooks could be the next big thing.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)