Jun 8, 2013, 7:19 PM EST
I’ve always been a big fan of Philadelphia’s commitment to the Big 5 round-robin. I’d like to see more cities do the same: get local DI programs together for a royal rumble.
Looks like the city of Boston is taking the first step toward something similar. The Daily Free Press is reporting that six teams from the hoops-mad city will meet at the TD Garden next season. On November 11, 2013, the arena will welcome Harvard, Northeastern, UMass, Boston University, Boston College and Holy Cross to participate in a triple-header that should thrill fans in the Commonwealth.
According to the Free Press report, the BU/Northeastern game has special significance.
In an effort to keep their season-opening rivalry going, the Terriers will face Northeastern University. BU coach Joe Jones and the rest of the Terriers will look to exact some revenge against the Huskies who defeated the Terriers on a last-second 3-point buzzer beater. The loss was the first of a five-game losing streak to open up the season.
As realignment ravages old rivalries, wouldn’t it be nice to see the re-emergence of some regional grudge matches? Imagine if cities like New York, Chicago, Dallas, L.A. and Washington, D.C. followed suit. Now that games on aircraft carriers and battleships seem to be out of vogue, these city-pride donnybrooks could be the next big thing.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)