Jun 8, 2013, 7:19 PM EDT
I’ve always been a big fan of Philadelphia’s commitment to the Big 5 round-robin. I’d like to see more cities do the same: get local DI programs together for a royal rumble.
Looks like the city of Boston is taking the first step toward something similar. The Daily Free Press is reporting that six teams from the hoops-mad city will meet at the TD Garden next season. On November 11, 2013, the arena will welcome Harvard, Northeastern, UMass, Boston University, Boston College and Holy Cross to participate in a triple-header that should thrill fans in the Commonwealth.
According to the Free Press report, the BU/Northeastern game has special significance.
In an effort to keep their season-opening rivalry going, the Terriers will face Northeastern University. BU coach Joe Jones and the rest of the Terriers will look to exact some revenge against the Huskies who defeated the Terriers on a last-second 3-point buzzer beater. The loss was the first of a five-game losing streak to open up the season.
As realignment ravages old rivalries, wouldn’t it be nice to see the re-emergence of some regional grudge matches? Imagine if cities like New York, Chicago, Dallas, L.A. and Washington, D.C. followed suit. Now that games on aircraft carriers and battleships seem to be out of vogue, these city-pride donnybrooks could be the next big thing.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 1
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)